How evil would it be ...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How evil would it be ...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
How evil would it be for two or more people - or even just one - to register as new users, just so that they could launch a few ridiculous spam topics, get them locked, and then continue a conversation between locked topics on the topic summary page, just by constantly changing their displayed names (which would show up, correctly updated, as the topic starters)?

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #1
Quite evil. If it got serious enough they may IP ban the person.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
Yeah, I think the mods would catch on pretty fast.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #3
I'd like to see that happen. Don't ask me why.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
There is a lower bound on permissible stupidity here. No matter how much it may seem like we're all-embracing, we really aren't.

—Alorael, who is not prepared to embrace the joys of communicating by locked topic. If such a thing were to happen, he would consider it his duty to delete the offending topics and chastise the offending persons.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
It would be funny. Not funny because Alorael and the other mods will have extra work, but funny because...well I don't know. It just would be. I'm with Ominous I'm in Us(I think it was him that said that, I'm not sure and I can't check because my mouse is broken. Its a shame because I'm getting everything by pressing the 'tab' button, and if I press it one too many times, I havr to go all the way back through.)- it would be funny.

Anyway, how did you think of that 'evil' idea?

[ Friday, April 22, 2005 22:01: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
IIRC, a thread only updates its publically displayed names when someone posts in it. Or at least, I've observed that on occasion.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #7
That would be soooooooo evil to do that. The person who did it should be forbidden from posting.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Sprung Spring:

It would be funny because...well I don't know.
It's kind of hard to say why anythings funny, I mean, look at puns. how come words that sound the same are funny(to some people at least)? The kind of humor shown here is the kind describes an event that is funny in theory, but in reality would be anywhere between annoying and tragic. I usually think of this as cartoon humor, because it's used alot in cartoons. Someone should study humor, because when you think about it, most of it doesn't make sense and I'd like to know why funny things are funny.
Edit:Yay! fifty posts! A long way until I get close to anyone else, though.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:05: Message edited by: EviL_TiM ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
I think editing a post also updates the names, Aran.

—Alorael, who doesn't exactly know the criteria. It's UBB, so chances are good that they don't make sense anyway.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
You don't seem to be able to edit posts in a locked topic, but I think the displayed name of the originator does keep updating automatically, hence the idea. It seems fairly evil to me, or I would have done it.

On the other hand, consider the separate degrees of evil of the two components of the evil scheme, deliberately launching topics that are bound to be locked, and changing one's displayed name very frequently. The first component is practiced not infrequently, and with apparent impunity, by several senior members of the community. The second is clearly, in itself, a thoroughly honorable practice, for Alorael does it, and Alorael is an honorable man.

[ Saturday, April 23, 2005 13:35: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Yes, but the means do not justify the end, do they? :P

Pity I don't have any topics I started recently...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben