Anzac Day

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Anzac Day
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #0
Lest We Forget...

For those who don't know, Anzac day is a memorial service for those Australians and New Zealands that were killed in Gallipoli. A website telling you more about it can be found here. I know its 2 days early, but its sad.

Lest We Forget...

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #1
Sad? Hell, it was 90 years ago! Men play war, men die in war - so what? Nothing but male stupidness.

You better would worry about the climatic change and the quick destruction of Australia's ecologic system, about the unlimited spreading of imported animals like aga-toads and rabbits. These are real sad things. Also: Australia even didn't sign the Kyoto protocol ...

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Well, it's apparently a national holiday there or something. Still, three days in advance? This is hardly necessary.

And hey, the USA has its Veterans' Day.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #3
As well as Memorial Day, which I think may be more in keeping with the spirit of Anzac Day.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

Sad? Hell, it was 90 years ago! Men play war, men die in war - so what? Nothing but male stupidness.

You better would worry about the climatic change and the quick destruction of Australia's ecologic system, about the unlimited spreading of imported animals like aga-toads and rabbits. These are real sad things. Also: Australia even didn't sign the Kyoto protocol ...

Clearly the world needs men less than it needs carbon dioxide controls, eh?

I've always seen ANZAC day as -- being primarily a mourning for those killed and a celebration of those who survived at Gallipoli -- well, a little bizzare. As a country, it seems you've got one major battle to talk about, and that was an unmitigated and unnecessary blood-soaked disaster pursued by foriegn officers who would later go on to become heroes.

I guess it might just as well be Australia in a nutshell. What's the general tone of ANZAC day?

[ Friday, April 22, 2005 09:45: Message edited by: Bad-Ass Mother Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
ANZAC Day is a general war rememberance day, essentially. Might not be how it started, but that's more or less how it's treated these days.

People like spy.there who say we shouldn't pay our respects and that it was all because men like to play war have indeed forgotten. And that is truly sad.

Lest we forget.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #6
I like all the street parades. They're fun for some reason. I think we're lucky enough to have this many people posting in this topic that actually cares about ANZAC day.

Lest we forget.

Does anyone know how we are saying lest we forget instead of something else?

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #7
I'll probably go along to the big parade at the Australian War Memorial on Monday. It's only 20 minutes away. One of the good things about living in Canberra - you're near just about every National anything - gallery, library, parliament house, everything.

I'm not sure how the exact phrase 'Lest we forget' was chosen. I imagine someone just thought of it and everyone just agreed that it was perfect.

For the foreigners, ANZAC Day is a big deal here in Australia.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
I just think it's great that a new, tasty kind of biscuit was invented especially for ANZAC Day, and all it took as the impetus for it was a war that killed millions.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
Tohse biscuits are tasty, and I know that it is 3 days early Imban, but it is an important thing in Australia. Its a national holiday over here.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #10
Forgive me for my ignorance as I have never heard of it before, but I will pay my respects to your brave soldiers none-the-less.

*pauses for moment of silence*

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley