Rpgs for Mac

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Rpgs for Mac
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #0
Does anyone know any good online\offline rpgs for mac? I'm getting bored of playing dull games that are so bugged you need insectocide. And Avernum and Geneforge have become boring in recent days.

These are some webpages with some of the games I've played. Try them out, although I think that none of them is really better the Avernum or Geneforge.:
www.fantasoft.com
www.ambrosaia.com

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #1
Neverwinter Nights is not bad if you're into AD&D.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #2
Yikes! Ambrosia's RPGs are rather...uh....horrid. With the notable exception of the action/RPG Escape Velocity: Nova.

I really hate Pillars of Garandel. When I tried it, I hated it instantly, its like a crappy Diablo except your character has a mullet!

If you want my advice on mac RPGs, tell us a bit more about what kind of RPGs you enjoy.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
I like RPGs that have an in-depth story, and aren't only mindless blood and guts. Open-ended is very nice as well.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #4
Oh, I forget to mention text-based RPGs, there's some great ones out there if you're into that. Achaea, Legends of Terris were my favourites back when I really liked that kind of thing, particularly Achaea which is complex, but original, deep, and rewarding to play.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
Fallout and Fallout 2
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #6
Some of my old-school favorite Mac RPG's (aside from the Spidweb ones's of course) are:

*Yipe
*Ultima III
*Shattered Stone (Hypercard RPG similar to Final Fantasy)
*Sacraments (very console-like RPG)
*Cythera (Ambrosia)

Most of these are ancient and will require OS9 to run cleanly. Classic is kind of buggy as far as Shattered Stone is concerned.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

I like RPGs that have an in-depth story, and aren't only mindless blood and guts. Open-ended is very nice as well.
You might want to check out Odyssey: the legend of nemesis. This RPG was made freeware recently by its author. It truly has a wonderful RPG story, and you have a lot of freedom to do things your own way. I remember really enjoying it back in the day.

You can download it at http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odyssey

Other ones you'll probably enjoy are Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. BG II, in particular, is a dandy.

I hear the fallout games are great, but never tried them.

Another War, and RPG set during WWII, is really interesting. I very much enjoy that one as well.

Also, for RPGs that are a bit different, I really enjoy Freedom Force. It is an RPG where you play a band of super-heroes. The story is wonderfully cartoony. If you don't take your RPGs too seriously, that one is quite fun.

Some people really like Neverwinter Nights. I'm not one of them. The engine is great, but the included module is terrible, and the modules I downloaded pretty much sucked as well.

However, that may just be me - I'm finding myself less and less attracted to "traditional" AD&D-style RPGs. I think the last one I really enjoyed was BGII, and that was several years ago. Since then, I've really enjoyed the Geneforges, Escape Velocity: Nova, Freedom Force, and Another War.

Has anyone else noticed that sci-fi RPGs tend to be much more dystopian in their outlook? I mean, in Sword & Sorcery RPGs, the good guys tend to be heroic and attractive and perfect, and the bad guys are ugly and mean and fatally flawed. In sci-fi RPGs, it seems like everyone is ugly and mean and fatally flawed - and you have to choose the least-worse option, or even merely survive.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #8
Ancient: Wizardry I (well, that's pre-historic)
Old: Wizardrt VI and VII, Might and Magic I-V (? or VI?, though M&M I-II are ancient-pre-historic)

Modern: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Deus Ex, Summoner.

Online: Lineage.
(what about World of Warcraft? I've never played online games, but I've enjoyed all the games that Blizzard has done)

Also, these aren't RPGs, but they exist for the Mac, and I think they're a nice series:

Ancient: King's Bounty.
Old: Heroes of Might and Magic I.
Not So Old: HoM&M II.
Modern: HoM&M III.

Also, and these are old/not so old: Warlords I and II (damn corporations didn't let them do III for Mac. Unless someone did so later???)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by bogus standard candidate:

Also, and these are old/not so old: Warlords I and II (damn corporations didn't let them do III for Mac. Unless someone did so later???)

Its worse than that - SSG, the company that made the warlords series, began as an Apple II developer of wargames. All of their games came out on the Mac, and were better than the PC versions. All was right in the world.

But then... during the Apple death spiral days of 1997, they completely abandoned the Mac platform to focus on PC games, and hence, never made another Mac game.

Fortunately, this sad story has a happy ending! SSG was suddenly launched into the incredibly hostile and competitive waters of PC gaming and got killed at the cash register. They fled into a joint partnership with SSI for protection and then SSI went bankrupt! So they could no longer sell their games on shelves anywhere except Australia. Since then, the few remaining SSG "employees" had to take outside jobs to support themselves, and now they release crappy shareware wargames for the PC at the rate of one every 3 years or so, and they are only sold in downloadable format. Oh yeah, and they had to sell the warlords franchise to some other company.

Ah yes... Nothing makes the pain melt away like the hideous failure of others.

Z

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #10
Taskmaker and Tomb of the Taskmaker are pretty good, even though they are pretty old, and since the company went bankrupt you can legally get the registration code on the internet if you look long enough.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #11
(cool story Zorro! Poetic Justice of a kind? Although I once read a notice from the programmers of Warlords that said how angry and sorry they were at the shift in platforms. Ay. With a PC you can play Warlords III (pretty cool), IV (not bad at all) and the Battlecry series, I hate those but I'm a minority, evidently, since they have like 3 of them or so out. So far)

Another oldie RPG for the Mac. If you can find this one: "Legends of the Lost Realm" by the Avalon Hill Computer Games Company (that's right)

Also, don't forget the Gold Boxed D&D games.

And one more in this post: "Quarterstaff" by Infocom. Not quite an RPG, but not quite an graphic adventure game either. A bit of a hybrid.

Edit: Ooops, if I say "Gold Boxed" I guess that means they are boxed in Gold?

[ Wednesday, April 20, 2005 20:11: Message edited by: bogus standard candidate ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

You might want to check out Odyssey: the legend of nemesis. This RPG was made freeware recently by its author. It truly has a wonderful RPG story, and you have a lot of freedom to do things your own way. I remember really enjoying it back in the day.

You can download it at http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odyssey

Wow, I remember playing that game. Had no idea it was now freeware. You rock, sir. Many thanks for the link.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #13
You might find this interesting. It's a DOS emulator that exists for both Windows and Macintosh.

--------------------
quote: