a new threat to our existence

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: a new threat to our existence
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #0
dihydrogen monoxide

it is dumped into our lakes, rivers and seas.
it is addictive: if you get addicted and dont get any for a while then you will die.
it kills many people each year.
causes millions in property damage.
it is even found in polar ice caps.

the goverment is making no moves in trying to ban this substance!!!

what do we do?

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
You, my friend, have clearly been drinking something other than dihydrogen monoxide. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
I say if it hasn't hurten us before, why should we st-

*falls to the floor, dead*

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #3
:)
dihidrogen monoxide=H2O=water

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
Oh, another april fools joke.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
I don't think you fooled anybody, boyo.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #6
i think that toenail didnt get it at first

MY CHEMISTRY TEACHER PRINTED OUT THE WHOLE ARTICLE ON THIS AND ONLY 2 PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE CLASS GUESSED IT BEFORE SHE TOLD US (i wasnt one of them)

APRIL FOOLS!!!

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
Yea I remember my teachers doing that to us... in sixth grade.

In all seriousness, we need to do something about this. This... "dihydrogen monoxide" substance you talked about sounds quite dangerous. How could our government allow this to happen? Aren't they the ones that protect us from ourselves and purposely shape our lives for their own greedy benefits? Surely we can nuke the polar icecaps, thereby destroying any threat posed by this molecule-from-hell, as I've coined it.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Don't be taken in by the scare tactics of the Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide! Join the Friends of Hydrogen Hydroxide today!

—Alorael, who will thank the SEP for this one.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
Oh, no! I've just found out that my body is made up of more that 70% of this dihydrogen monoxide stuff!!1!!11! :D

I couldn't resist, sorry.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Waffle Guy:

i think that toenail didnt get it at first

MY CHEMISTRY TEACHER PRINTED OUT THE WHOLE ARTICLE ON THIS AND ONLY 2 PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE CLASS GUESSED IT BEFORE SHE TOLD US (i wasnt one of them)

APRIL FOOLS!!!

heh heh

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #11
I've heard that dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous substance. Then I heard that dihydrogen oxide is water, and dihydrogen monoxide is dihydrogen oxide, and now I'm confused. Damn my science teacher!

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
Yes, it truly should be "dihydrogen oxide"... the "mono" being superfluous.

I think I just ingested some dihydrogen monoxide, though. Who should I see about this sort of thing? The CDC?

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #13
I believe oxide and monoxide mean the same thing because mono means 'one'.

EDIT: Damn, Demonslayer beat me to it.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 17:48: Message edited by: Milla ]

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
The rules for naming chemical compounds are actually more complicated than that, but basically if a compound has only one common oxidation state and it's in it, it isn't necessary to use a prefix. The upshot is that you can just call water "hydrogen oxide" and still be correct.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #15
Use the name of the metal first, then add an ide, etc., to the name of the non-metal, right?

I like science...mainly because I'm smarter than all of the other kids. ^_^

EDIT: By metal, I meant that Hydrogen is over there by the metals.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 18:51: Message edited by: I've got an idiot in my pocket ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Well, it's not always a metal that goes first (you can't in this case, obviously, because hydrogen isn't a metal.) You use the name of the atom or group of atoms in the higher oxidation state first (in this case, hydrogen, which is +1), followed by the name of the atom or group of atoms in the lower oxidation state (in this case, a single oxygen atom in the -2 oxidation state, which is called "oxide".)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #17
Thuryl, I'm shocked! Water's bonds are covalent and polar, not ionic (although... they're damn close in a lot of ways, hence hydrogen peroxide rather than dihydrogen dioxide), so the atoms aren't really thought to be in any oxidation state. The convention for covalently bonded non-organic molecules is to always include the prefixes, so dihydrogen monoxide it in fact is.

EDIT: It's "oxide" whether the oxygen is actually in that full -2 state or not, I believe.

EDIT 2: Of course, convention could easily differ between Australia and America.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 18:56: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #18
I'm no Einstein when it comes to science, so I will stay out of this topic, other than posting this. I got lost at the first post by Thuryl.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by PoD person:

Thuryl, I'm shocked! Water's bonds are covalent and polar, not ionic (although... they're damn close in a lot of ways, hence hydrogen peroxide rather than dihydrogen dioxide), so the atoms aren't really thought to be in any oxidation state.
I'm aware that oxidation number in covalently-bonded compounds doesn't really correspond to a complete change in "ownership" of electrons. It's still a useful abstraction. (There's no such thing as a 100% covalent or 100% ionic bond anyway; bonds are classified by their degree of covalent or ionic character.)

quote:
The convention for covalently bonded non-organic molecules is to always include the prefixes, so dihydrogen monoxide it in fact is.
It could well be that you're right. My area's biology, not chemistry, which means most of the nomenclature I have to deal with is for complex organic compounds which have rules all of their own. (Not that I don't mess those up too, on occasion. Ask me to tell xylose from erythrose based on their Haworth projections and I'll start gibbering incoherently.)

quote:
EDIT: It's "oxide" whether the oxygen is actually in that full -2 state or not, I believe.
You're forgetting about peroxides (-1) and superoxides (-1/2).

quote:
EDIT 2: Of course, convention could easily differ between Australia and America.
Could be. There are at least two nomenclatural systems I'm aware of (IUPAC and the other one), although I couldn't honestly tell you the difference between them.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 19:33: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #20
I know you know about covalent bonds, I just felt like yanking your chain a bit on April fool's day.

What I meant with the first edit was that you still call it "oxide" in a covalent bond (or, rather, one covalent enough that chemists decide they would rather refer to it as such than as an ionic one; such things are tenuous at best, especially in a molecule which dissociates as often as water), not that it has other names when it's a different oxygen ion, which it does.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 21:01: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Waffle Guy:

dihydrogen monoxide

it is dumped into our lakes, rivers and seas.
it is addictive: if you get addicted and dont get any for a while then you will die.
it kills many people each year.
causes millions in property damage.
it is even found in polar ice caps.

the goverment is making no moves in trying to ban this substance!!!

what do we do?

You know, this is the kind of joke that gets old real fast. And it's been around for longer than either of us were alive, I am pretty certain. :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #22
well, i had to post something since u ppl didnt say much about yesterday

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #23
We were probably hoping to get through yesterday without idiocy like this, but, well.......
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #24
There is always a stupid thing like that happening on April Fools day. Every day. now that I think about it.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris

Pages