A Exile-based Roguelike?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A Exile-based Roguelike?
Apprentice
Member # 5631
Profile #0
I'd rather like to see an Exile based Roguelike. It seems to me Exile's engine is perfect for a Roguelike; All you'd have to do would be implement random dungeon floors and disable multiple PCs..
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #1
Can you do it?

I agree that it would look nice (have you played Dungeon of Doom for the Mac, it might look a little like that one)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
If Exile's engine were used, the result would by definition not be roguelike. No Exile or Avernum engine is quite ready for the change of emphasis without heavy alteration, and in the end there isn't a great market for the dungeon crawl type of game that isn't covered for free by Rogue, Angband (and ToME and other *band variants), and the like on one end and Diablo on the other.

—Alorael, who doesn't see much of a point in discussion anyway. Unless Jeff sees definite money in it, which is dubious, he won't make it, and he'll never, ever let anyone else touch his code.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
What is Roguelike? I keep seeing references to it on these Forumz.

[ Saturday, March 26, 2005 14:36: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #4
The only major difference in coding would be changing the spells, even then just naming a few of the differently would suffice. The rest of the change consists of changing monster names, and making the level start underground. As you go 'up' or 'down' the monsters get harder. Hawthorne being at the very top, and Grah-Hoth at the very bottom...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

What is Roguelike? I keep seeing references to it on these Forumz.
Well, you know, you could have just looked up the first freaking result for "roguelike" on Google, which is a FAQ on roguelikes.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
But the link you provided is so much easier to use than a scary search engine. Why do when others will do for you. :P

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

...on these Forumz.
Fora, VCH, fora.

And do you really mean to tell me that posting twice was easier than Google-ing something?

btw, I like dungeons crawls.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
I almost put fora, I really did. But then I thought it would look to pompous.

Oh and yeah google is far too difficult I get lost in the Inter tangled web of cyberspace every-time.

Fora BTW isnt in Apple Works spell-check.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by the Real Demonslaya:

And do you really mean to tell me that posting twice was easier than Google-ing something?

It increases the post count.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #10
That and VCH will have to use his own stinking hands to reach all the way over to the keyboard type www.google.com and 'roguelike', and use his own brain to spell the words!

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #11
It's not nice to make fun of special people :(

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!