User Friendlyness

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: User Friendlyness
Apprentice
Member # 5589
Profile #0
I really am not trying to troll or start a flamewar.

I have proudly and gladly purchased Exiles 1,2,3, Avernum 1,2,3 and both Geneforge games. Blast Jeff for putting off my new laser printer purchasing plans! :P

Gameplay:
Avernum: I found movement and objects a little on the wonky side. As a big fan of the arrow keys, the odd half-3d look of the game just hurt my head when trying to use them. Looting also seemed to take longer in Avernum for some reason.

Graphics:
I kinda like the Exile graphics better, much more of a solid look, than the little icon-esque graphics in Avernum. Things seemed more polished in Avernum, but not as unique, and I dislike the look of rings in Avernum games (the gold bands) they look like hoolahoops.

Locking Up: Despite my only two year old pc, avernum would every now and then (not too often) do a minor lockup...then resume. I never experienced this with Exile.

anyone else experience this?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
I have Mac OS 10.3.7 G4 - the only problems of that kind i've had was with Avernum one running in classic. The game would freeze for about three seconds every now and than. I couldn't do anything, and if I did press any keys the actions I told it to do would happen all at one as soon as it came back to life. It was a slight annoyance at times, but it never stayed that way and fixed itself pretty fast.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Avernum: Movement is fine if you have a numeric keypad. Laptops and compulsive arrow users are definitely in trouble. I can't manage Avernum or Nethergate without a full keyboard. There are also a surprising number of posts asking for help that turn out to come from players who didn't realize that they could move diagonally.

Graphics: I agree. Avernum's terrain is pretty, but the items are a mixed bag. It's really the creatures that get me, though. Nephils look like sliths, all humans look the same, and so on. When I picture things from Exile/Avernum, I picture them with the prettier E3/BoE graphics.

—Alorael, who has never had any lockup problems playing all the games in Mac OS 9.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
Is Jeff planning on fixing some of the visuals in A4? Like cleaning up character graphics and generally polishing things more.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
I think I remember it being stated that A4 would be a new engine. Am I correct?

If this is the case, then yes.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
I really hope youre right. Although it might be a slight wrip if A4 looks totally superior to BOA.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #6
If Jeff makes A4 with a new engine, maybe he will make BoA2 with that engine , but probably not.

--------------------
~the all consuming oni of chaos~
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Oni of Chaos:

If Jeff makes A4 with a new engine, maybe he will make BoA2 with that engine , but probably not.
BoA2 would be pretty much pointless.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
If A4 actually has a new, "sparkly" engine, Jeff may use it to make several games. He did just that with the Nethergate/Avernum and Geneforge engines. After that, a Blades version would make sense and fit in the pattern.

—Alorael, who wouldn't expect it directly after Avernum 4. Avernum 5 and 6 would be likely, or perhaps (one can hope) a new trilogy.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
I would expect a new editor too if A4 is really something new. Maybe hell finally get the editor right. I guess that's way off in the future though.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #10
Never had a technical problem playing any of Jeff's game. It's nice to be able to say that about any game these days, even more about an entire list of games by the same company.

New trilogy using this sparkly new engine would be nice, since it seems Ermarian will be visited again.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #11
maybe they will add 2 more dungeons/towns

--------------------
~the all consuming oni of chaos~
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #12
Or perhaps another dialogue box. :eek:

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #13
I also have all of the games that will play on windows & the only one i find hard to keep playing is homeland. all of the exile & avernum & geneforge & subterra games are great! Having said that i do experience some crashes, more so with blades of avernum.

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!