the PDA Movement

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: the PDA Movement
Apprentice
Member # 4922
Profile Homepage #0
the PDA, one of the most ingenius inventions to date. literally a pocket PC, mine has a VGA camera, windows media player, 128MB storage (With SD flashcard slot) and a 400MHz processor, plus phone, internet etc.

the graphics display is a glorious 240x320, 16 bit colour. That's what made me wonder. That seems quite close to the running resolution of Exile, and while I cant speak for other Spiderweb Games, I think it would be very nice to have these games mobile...literally on our mobiles. I could sit in the canteen at work and play exile when im bored, better than lousy soliatare.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if it is, how to get the idea over to the right people?

--------------------
=/\=Captain Tritous Caraway=/\=
Commanding Officer
USS Emancipator
www.USSEmancipator.ukf.net

Proud member of the Freedom Fleet: the greatest democratic fleet on the net
http://www.diasporagames.com/freedom_fleet/
Apprentice
Member # 5568
Profile Homepage #1
I would expect that games like Exile could be modified to run on a PDA. I remember reading an article not too long ago about a company that was trying to port Myst to Pocket PCs. I am not sure to the status of that, but if Myst could be ported I don't see what would prevent Exile from being able to. It would just require Jeff to see the Pocket PCs owners has a lucrative market and move into it. I expect it would definately be more than an afternoon project, so he would probaly need a lot of motivation.

--------------------
Szewczyk's Home
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
This has been discussed several times before. It's unlikely to happen, because it'd be a lot of work and wouldn't pay nearly as well as making a new game.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #3
Actually, it would probably do pretty good. however, it would do much better on palm pdas, since pocket pc's already have many good games but good palm os games are few and far between.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
Why would you want to play Avernum on a pocket PC. Just imagine; ohh I just killed that mass of pixels that very nearly looks like a blob yeahh! Some parts of Avernum are hard enough to distinguish visually on a computer screen.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #5
i don't kow about pocket pc's, but small graphics look great on my palm pilot.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
Possibly but i dont think A1-3 would work on any palm system, to an enjoyable level.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
The projected number of purchasers versus the amount of work required to port Avernum doesn't make the effort time well spent. There are more people with desktops and laptops than various handheld computers. Out of those, how many would buy Avernum? And out of those, how many would buy Avernum if they could get it for a "real" computer instead? Jeff would make more money by creating Geneforge 3 (or 4), or Avernum 4, or whatever else he thinks of for full-sized computers, and Jeff does all his designing with money in mind.

—Alorael, who would guess that the only audience likely to buy Avernum for PDA would already have Avernum for computer and would be equally likely to buy a new game for computer. Thus, the new game is a better investment of work.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00