Moving Registered Games from OS 9 to OS X

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Moving Registered Games from OS 9 to OS X
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
I have registered copies of most of Spiderweb Software's games on my iBook running OS 9 and am trying to figure out a way to transfer them to my new iMac running OS X in such a way that my reigstration (stored in the Preferences files, I think) isn't lost in the process.

I know only 5 of them or so will run natively on OS X (the others I'll run in Classic mode). Does X store Preferences for each game in the same way 9 does? Can I transfer these Prefs files to X directly and have it work properly? If so, which folder should I put them in?

I'm also wondering if I can transfer the folders containing these games directly into the Applications folders on my iMac. When you first run the installer for each game, does it detect which operating system you're using and install different files accordingly? For instance, if I moved my Geneforge folder on my iBook to the Applications folder on my iMac would the program still run the way it should? Would any files neccesary for it to run on OS X be absent?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
Try putting the preferences files in ~/Library/Preferences/
There isn't any other dross, so you should be able to just copy the programs over.
If it doesn't work, either re-enter the registration codes you were given when you registered, or email Jeff and ask for a new one. He's pretty good about that sort of thing.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #2
why do people have such a love for macs,i hate those things,there about as bad as the bow and arrow v.s the m16,no contest,windows wins,first of all,the way amc starts up could seriously mess up your comp,second,alot more things are in windows than they are in mac,your liek your trying to question the popularity of the mp3,i spit at you,mp3 has *looks at captain obvious image found in a different post* undeniable control of the music format market,same as windows

--------------------
comminiscor ea superus san` coetus,momen athrad ea superus san` institio,uniformis ea superus san` complesso,superus honestas,superus dominatus,superus.ta ea superus a` imperator san` a` succedo
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
Why are you trolling?

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I don't know, but I'd appreciate it if it were more legible and, even better, not posted. We already have a Mac vs. PC argument of sorts, and a real one is exactly what we don't need.

—Alorael, who will thank everyone to leave the flamebait alone. Do not touch!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #5
it mac v.s windows you silly person,and if you dont like the way i post,than youll be confused like most people,you ever played dos games?ever played geneforge?THEN YOULL SEE WHY WINDOWS IS BETTER THAN MAC!

--------------------
comminiscor ea superus san` coetus,momen athrad ea superus san` institio,uniformis ea superus san` complesso,superus honestas,superus dominatus,superus.ta ea superus a` imperator san` a` succedo
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Just download the OSX versions of the games and email Jeff to ask for the new registration codes.

As for you, taker_guardian, stop posting about Windows and Macs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

As for you, taker_guardian, stop posting.
Fixed your typo.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
quote:

Just download the OSX versions of the games and email Jeff to ask for the new registration codes.
That sounds like the simplest course of action — thanks for the advice!

I assume the saved game files will work fine regardless of which Mac OS they were created in?

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by taker_guardian:

it mac v.s windows you silly person,and if you dont like the way i post,than youll be confused like most people,you ever played dos games?ever played geneforge?THEN YOULL SEE WHY WINDOWS IS BETTER THAN MAC!
Bad troll.

0/10

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #10
Taker, if you're a secondary account, ignore the following.

If you're not:

Thank you. You've proven that the fifty bucks I spent on that meditation book were worth it. The method works.

Also, concerning your signature. You realize, of course, that if there was any intention of proving your knowledge, it has succeeded beyond your wildest expectations.

I hope you live interesting times.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #11
DIOS, you are the man.

--------------------
Polaris
Canned
Member # 5490
Profile #12
i dotn really undertsand much of what ya said there,but mainly why i prefer windows,is that xp has a basalt fortress style firewall,while mac,it lets you do thigns while its bootign up,do you realize how RAM requests and program activations could mess up your hardrive,let alone your computer working properly whiel the thign is starting up!

[ Sunday, February 20, 2005 14:32: Message edited by: taker_guardian ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

quote:

That sounds like the simplest course of action — thanks for the advice!

I assume the saved game files will work fine regardless of which Mac OS they were created in?

That's exactly what I did when I got a new Mac over the summer, and it worked perfectly. Jeff e-mailed me the codes very quickly. I don't think I ever attempted to transfer over saved game files, though.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.