The Oort Cloud

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Oort Cloud
Apprentice
Member # 3985
Profile #0
Just a bit of a quiz. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 53 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=DfjAnGrTitVz"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=DfjAnGrTitVz"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Oh boy, worms! Where's my can opener?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Why? I don't see the point of this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #2
Maybe he wanted to let us know that he's liking astronomy. It's his first post.
Welcome to Spiderweb, Troublemaker. I hope, you'll honour your name :P

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
not another TM. -_-

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
This poll evokes the latter days of Misc, when pointlessness was raised to a form of art.

—Alorael, who believes the Oort Cloud is what he sees after the third gallon of skribbane.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
This is the best topic I've seen in months. If there were a way to sticky topics in UBB, I'd want it stickied.

No sarcasm at all.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #6
Not to sound pedantic, but the Oort cloud isn't exactly unobserved. We've found bits of it, or at least bit of what we suspect are its innermost reaches.
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #7
Personally, I think the astronomers are making the whole thing up.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
We could all probably live happy lives without ever knowing of the existence of the Oort Cloud, and yet... don't you feel more fulfilled? Somehow? Even a little bit?

—Alorael, who doesn't, really. The only thing that stops him from locking the topic is laziness and an interest in seeing whether true wisdom can be found in this thread like the sun appearing from behind the clouds, but not the Oort Cloud.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
While we're on the topic, has anyone else heard of the curious object called Sedna? It has a 10,500 year orbit and seems to far away to be a Kuiper Belt Object but to close to belong to the Oort Cloud, suggesting yet another whole group of objects beyond the Kuiper Belt.

What do you think?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I've heard of Sedna. Lots of people are calling it a newly-discovered planet, although I don't think it's been officially categorised as such yet.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #11
It probably won't ever be. The planet thing is mostly media hype; even though Sedna is the largest thing we've discovered beyond Pluto, it's only about 20% larger than the second-biggest, and much smaller than Pluto itself. We only started finding planetesimals beyond Pluto a few years ago, so chances are we'll find something bigger before very long.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
Many people argue that Pluto itself shouldn't be a planet, and the only thing that's allowing it to keep it's status and not becoming the largest Kuiper Belt Object is that it was the first solar system object discovered beyond the orbit of Neptune, and, of course, people want to keep the tradition of a 9-planet solar system. It's weird.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 5488
Profile #13
:P Ok, so this poll is astronomy? Not too boring but who the heck cares?

--------------------
I wonder how the people can live in some games without using the bathroom commonly or drink any water? They don't change their clothes much, even if they get wounded... Life is a mystery...
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #14
Well you see my dear popstar, many people here like to discuss, argue, fight, rape pillage destroy (not), and I actually care a whole deal about astronomy. Just because you find it boring, doesn't mean everyone find it boring, see? ;)

EDIT: Forgot what I really was going to say;

I've actually heard some extremely experienced astrophysicians and such call our solar system an 8-planet system, and it seems to me some of those people despise Pluto, weird...

[ Thursday, February 10, 2005 15:47: Message edited by: StD ]

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
It just doesn't fit in with the others:

It is the only "planet" outside the asteroid belt that doesn't have a huge, gaseous atmosphere. The ellipticy and inclination of its orbit from the ecliptic are very weird. I even can't get myself to call it a true planet sometimes.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Isn't Pluto actually in two pieces anyway? I think I heard a report a while back that said that astronomers had taken a closer look and realized that it was two chunks of rock, not just one.

Yeah, Pluto doesn't really seem like a planet at all.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Isn't Pluto actually in two pieces anyway? I think I heard a report a while back that said that astronomers had taken a closer look and realized that it was two chunks of rock, not just one.
You're probably thinking of Charon, Pluto's satellite/companion (it's not that much smaller than Pluto itself). It was discovered only a couple of decades ago.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!