Video Games 101

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Video Games 101
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #25
It's really unfortunate that those things actually happened ;) I mean, the dishonor, can you imagine, of being killed by a flying COW!? ;)

Finaly Fantasy Six taught me what an RPG should aspire to.

Chrono Trigger taught me that having the main character never speak, while novel, kills a lot of character development.

The entire Zelda series showed me what that adventurous wanderlust feeling can do to make a game more enjoyable.

Neverwinter Nights also had something of that adventurous feeling. But the main thing it taught me is that it isn't the quality of the graphics, it's the stupidity of the glitches. Having few glitches but worse graphics = better overall, because it doesn't detract from immersion.

Lord of the Rings the Third Age showed me that you can give a game the best system, no graphics glitches, good graphics, and a justified reason for almost everything, and have that actually work AGAINST you when something comes up you dont explain (In more understandable terms: It taught me that if you make your game really good at one thing, your expected to keep it that good at that one thing throughout)

007 taught me that making a game realistic can be more important than "making it fun" because the realism can help immersion value, and hence in itself increase the fun value.

Geneforge taught me that you needn't be a badass warrior yourself if you have enough mindless servants, hence I created a Necromancer on another game I played ;)

Avernum 1-3 and BoA taught me that the greatest badge of honor any game or game company can aspire to is to have it's own player community.

Warcraft III taught me that any good medieval RPG has to have just enough technology to be easily relateable.

Final Fantasy 7 taught me that any good futuristic RPG has to have just little enough technology to be easily relateable.

While FF4/FF6 taught me how much music can enhance a game, the Seventh Saga taught me how lack of music and bad music can likewise cripple it.

Counterstrike taught me that it's easy to make a game successfull, all you need to do is spoof another game and simplify it (I might be playing with fire, but I'm not asking for flames :P )

Unreal taught me that gore can enhance a game dramaticly or kill it outright (Not saying which I thought it was)

Postal 2 didnt teach me, but reinforced my acceptance of the fact that "No one ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American public" for those who dont get that qoute, they didnt lose money because it's IMPOSSIBLE to underestimate the taste of the American Public ;)

Soulcalibur II taught me that an unrealistic game can be well done and fun, as long as it sticks to the basics (Allowing magic, giving people super-strength, etc.,)

And Firearms taught me what stealth can do even on the front line.

Thats it for now ;)
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #26
In practical terms-- very complex computer roleplaying games teach you to be patient, methodical, detail oriented, to go over everything systematically, to prepare by building up your options, and to finish everything you are supposed to do in order to win. :P

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Pages