Hidden secrets in signatures.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hidden secrets in signatures.
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #0
In another forum not long ago, i heard of a few signatures that when flipped or turned upside down reveal certain hidden words that could have relative meaning to the person. For example, here is a fragment of a signature by J.R.R Tolkien: (see if you can decipher the word)

IMAGE(http://www.tolkienet.com/rivendell/forum2/forum/data/Talkien/200482919411_Tolkien%20signature.jpg)

In this next picture if you look close enough you can see that you can see two words in his signature that directly relate to him, Lord and Rings . Also true to this idea is the signature of Andy Serkis, of which when flipped seems to contain the word Gollum . (Andy Serkis played the role of Gollum in the trilogy)

IMAGE(http://www.tolkienet.com/rivendell/forum2/forum/data/Talkien/20041017184023_Andy-Serkis-Gollum.jpg)

So what do you think? Is it perhaps a deliberate thing or strangely coincidental? I would love to do something like this to my signature if i could. The strangest thing about these signatures is that the words contained with in actually have real relevance to the person, so it would be quite odd if it wasn't a deliberate thing.

Here's the link if anyone wants to see the original thread.

Just one more for the road, Bruce Lee's signature seeming to display the words Kung Fu:

IMAGE(http://www.tolkienet.com/rivendell/forum2/forum/data/Talkien/2004113010750_Bruce-Lee.jpg)

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #1
Things like this are called "ambigram".
For explanation look here
There are many sites around in the web. Try to google the word ambigram.
I find ambigrams amazing, but I yet hadn't the leisure to try to make my own. It seems to be not easy.

EDIT: look here

[ Sunday, December 12, 2004 02:11: Message edited by: bigblue ]

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
I prefer searching for hidden messages in reverse speech. Mainly because it is intensely creepy to listen to a recording of a human voice played backwards. Sounds like gurgling and speaking while inhaling.

By now, I can even say certain things backwards myself and reverse the recording so it makes sense. And now *that* sounds creepy.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #3
... and many people think they can see the face of a man in the moon. Doesn't mean there is one there. And what about all those geological formations that kinda-sorta-maybe look like a big leek if you squint and wear green tinted glasses?

One of man's greatest abilities is to distinguish patterns in seeming randomness. One of man's greatest failings is to see patterns that aren't there. (I guarantee that the next lotto numbers to come up will be based on the birthday dates of someone's relatives.)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
They will also be the first digits of several people's social security number. And the last digits of several more. :P

Reversing speech just generates a sort of "white noise" that you can give any sense you want to if you listen long enough.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
Sure there's a face on the moon. Just look:

IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:UT4vG8aCH3oJ:www.astrosurf.com/re/moon-03.jpg)

He's kinda facing to the left.

Or a woman facing to the left, Mare Tranquillitas being a tuft of hair and Tycho being her necklace jewel.

[ Wednesday, December 15, 2004 17:54: Message edited by: 4614 and 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 5267
Profile #6
Ugh, here I am posting in the "General" board again.

Anyway, I more or less agree with Skippy, er, "Member # 5268": Coincidences (co-incident, meaning linked incidents) exist everywhere, many of them silly or humorous. The real challenge is identifying the mechanism which generates the coincidence (maybe being that it's the Almighty's sense of humor).

That said, I now say "Neat."

Oh, and I never saw a face in the moon before now, although it looks more like a gorilla to me.

[ Wednesday, December 15, 2004 18:03: Message edited by: Can-ned Food ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #7
I think it's a bit of a stretch. I think you see what you want to see. Had Tolkien written a book called The Dread Pirate, I'm sure people would see "Dread Pirate" upside down in his signature. Serkis' signature looks more like "all brown" than "Gollum" to me. So to answer your question, I suppose it's strangely coincidental, but only because your mind makes it that way.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.