Evolution

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Evolution
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
Interbreeding isn't going to destroy genetic diversity; overall allele frequencies won't change, particular alleles will just be less concentrated in any given subpopulation. In any case, since there's still a tendency toward assortative mating -- people of similar ethnicity tend to pair up -- I don't think you'd have much to worry about even if it did.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Apprentice
Member # 4989
Profile #27
I'll probably regret this, but RavagedSoul despite having a brain the size of an artichoke, does bring up an interesting point.
Genetic diversity increases the chance of survival in the event of some global catastrophe. If people breed indiscriminately the slightly varying genetic profiles of various communities, ethnicities, races, and what not will converge.
An interesting rebuttal to this point is that we have less need of traditional genetic diversity in the future, because an increase in radiation due to various causes will promote more rapid mutation of genetic strains.
BANNED
Member # 5141
Profile #28
Despite the fact that you have no brain, you had no reason to insult me. Please refrain from being an ass.

Thuryl, I never said it is the end of the world, or that I would ever have to worry about it in my lifetime. It seems a lot of you like saying that I am suggesting something when I am not. Even if it was the end of the world, I would be happy to see it go, to prevent such occurances as people.

[ Wednesday, November 03, 2004 18:13: Message edited by: RavagedSoul ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #29
quote:
an increase in radiation due to various causes will promote more rapid mutation of genetic strains.
Does this mean I will be an X MAN one day? :P

Where is everyone getting the information to back up their statements? I know Thuryl is doing some science stuff, but what about the rest of you?

[ Wednesday, November 03, 2004 18:15: Message edited by: Mad Mezzulah ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BANNED
Member # 5141
Profile #30
Yes Mad Mezzulah, yes it does.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #31
YES!!!
I have always wanted to fly and zap things with my fingers...

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by RavagedSoul:

IMAGE(http://www.infoukes.com/history/ww2/figure07.jpg)
Fixed your typo.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages