The seven mortal sins of the 21st century

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The seven mortal sins of the 21st century
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #0
I recently found this very interesting explanation for human's insufficiency: the commitment of 7 modern sins*.

1 The Misleading
Humans bump against their limits in many respects (e.g. resources), but nevertheless we continue to follow like lemmings the suction of economic growth. Money should be means to the aim, not end in itself.

2 The Loss of Order
The destruction of regulations and legality, the decay of authorities is contrary to our growing need for orientation. It leads to chaos (see education, traffic, increasing crimes) - and favours directly foolishness no.3:

3 The Authority of Grafted Solutions
Constructed, artificial solutions from complacent gurus and salvation receipts out of silent closets fight only against symptoms instead of solving the real problems (see suburbian colonies, health care systems, the patchwork of EU constitution, the strays of Athen e.t.c.)

4 The Cult of Superficies
The shape defeats the content - it's the time of mimikry and camouflage. From TV-infotainment to the polished balances of big companies: everything has to be smooth and good looking. Leads directly to no. 5:

5 The Levelling
Variety and peculiarity disappear, everything approximates (agrarian products!). The passion to equalization produced e.g. the lie that "all humans are born with equal abilities".

6 The Mania for Enemy Pictures
Our own weakness and imperfection often start a passion to create enemies (...... fill in any religion, nation, profession, gender, faction ...)

7 The Suppression
Because we are unable to live in conflicts (caused by foolishnesses 1 - 6), we banish all the lies and disagreements deep into our subconsciousness. Where they boil and bubble and poisen us slowly ...

*The original title of the book is "Die 7 Narrheiten des 21. Jahrhunderts" ("the 7 foolishnesses of 21st century") from Klaus Woltron, an Austrian physicist, sometime nuclear engineer and general manager of ABB, today a successful, independent entrepreneur. He masters the question after the meaning of life by publishing - this is his fifth book.
Sadly not yet available in English, AFAIK.

I like the "translation" from catholic mortal sins. Since we lack religion we must look for moral and ethics. ^_^

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #1
I'm not going to take the time to read that right now. I must add love the signature :D .
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #2
I must add that I don't. It makes out karma to be important and it reminds me of the petty tactics of the cheerleader-cliques of my peers (I must add that I'm in grade eight). Also, who cares if they suck? Ignoring them is a better idea than granting them all that attention.

As for the seven sins, I feel intense guilt when looking upon them. I seem to be going to the modern hell.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

The shape defeats the content - it's the time of mimikry and camouflage. From TV-infotainment to the polished balances of big companies: everything has to be smooth and good looking.

I don't disagree with its accuracy, I hardly would consider this a modern sin. The shape usually DOES define the content, and I don't think Chomsky was trying to chastise society for it. Its just an inevitable truth.

But this was an interesting list you've posted. I feel like it has enriched me in some small way.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #4
Indeed. I feel that very few of these problems apply solely to the modern period. I wouldn't even say that all of them are problems.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by The Ripper:

quote:

The shape defeats the content - ....

I don't disagree with its accuracy, I hardly would consider this a modern sin. The shape usually DOES define the content, and I don't think Chomsky was trying to chastise society for it. Its just an inevitable truth.

Well, Chomsky tried to eliminate the intrinsic value of a form. He was a hardliner structuralist. As a (metalinguistic) artist I see it more from the opposite: I try to find a form for the subject. Also I see the subject in forms.
quote:
by Rosycat: As for the seven sins, I feel intense guilt when looking upon them. I seem to be going to the modern hell.
quote:
by TSTE: Indeed. I feel that very few of these problems apply solely to the modern period. I wouldn't even say that all of them are problems.
What proves once more the higher sensitivity of women -_- I feel guilty too. TSTE is probably afflicted by sin no.7 ^_^.

And I removed GIFTS from the Sig - he got the message.
But ben* IMHO needs it somehow, it's his ... um ... form of communication. +_+

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 12:58: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #6
I too would have to say that not all of these are even nearly universal...and is it just me, or does two directly conflict with four and five?

And as for number four, I think the Internet has taken that apart. People no longer have to rely almost entirely on established firms to publish their creativity, which is a good thing.

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #7
That's the most incoherent piece of crap I've ever read. It somehow manages to be alarming whilst ignoring just about every substantive issue that actually exists.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #8
Why is suppression a specifically modern problem? Do you have no conception of history whatsoever? With the possible exception of 5, each and every one of those 'sins' could be applied just as easily to Tudor England, for example.

Besides, I'll not deny that I suppress an awful lot, but anxieties about the previous six issues are very definitely not amongst the major ones. Suppressing things is just a way of functioning better.

To conclude, Djur's criticisms are spot on and 'sensitiveness' (FYI I think sensitivity is more idiomatic, but that's neither here nor there) is not the same as gullibility.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #9
They neither claim to be universal nor pretty new by purport. Modern is only their shape and their successful spreading in all capitalistic societies.
I like the association to the 7 medieval sins, even though Woltron doesn't call them "sins" but "foolishnesses".

And of course TSTE (what would be your name, btw?) you cannot see any problem, if the first does not worry you. If you think it is normal that humans behave as if there would be no limits - then that list will not touch you. Ok., the majority does follow the endless growth, so it might be quite normal ...

Whyte Shadow, what has internet to do with superficies? To worship superficiality is body cult, plastic surgery, to follow the fashion, to hide every flaw behind a flawless design and so on.

And Djur, what substantive issue has been ignored? It is not incoherent, but it might be a piece of crap due to my bad English. I cannot express myself exactly, damn. >_<

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #10
There is a possible Eight Deadly Sin. Not a modern one by any means, one that has exsisted for ages immemorial.
Censorship.
Nowadays we have more venues to apply this censorship to.

Do you people think censorship has become a bigger problem? Do you think we have taken steps, that have worked, in order to dilute it?

(As for another possibility, also too old to call modern by any means, Hypocresy?)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #11
I think by TSTE you mean me. I'm not entirely sure why, since I don't ever remember using a name with those initial letters (although that's not conclusive proof that I have never done so.) BtI is the standard name I am known by.

I don't recall saying that economic growth was always good. For the first world, I'm not certain that it always is (although it certainly is necessary for the third world.)

My objections are mostly directed towards points two and seven although I believe I could quibble most points. However, some of those objections would probably merely be with things creeping in in the translation.

Besides, I think your logic is circular. Arguing that anybody who does not agree with that list is suppressing the truth is not logically rigorous or sound.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Maybe TSTE = This Side Towards Enemy?! :confused:

[ Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:42: Message edited by: I am a Great Sucker ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
I think by TSTE you mean me.
quote:
BtI's Title: This Side Towards Enemy
quote:
Maybe TSTE = This Side Towards Enemy?!
Yes, very possible, though I strangely don't really think so.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #14
=_= You got me Aran, I actually tried to shorten the title.
quote:
by BSC: There is a possible Eight Deadly Sin. .......Censorship.
Censorship is include in nr. 4, 5 and 7.
A government wants to give a flawless picture - so it might censure the press. Censorship ist supression of flaws.

And BtI: it is circular, IMHO. Everything goes in circles, no?

For 2: Rules, laws and orders are the measure of a working society. If people start to neglect the law and behave like they want, they must bother or harm others. E.g. I am annoyed, if cars drive over speed limit in my street and drunk people bawl the whole night - I don't enjoy people stealing my handbags, breaking into my house, etc. If everybody would neglect the society rules, we'd have a mess for sure.
quote:
Arguing that anybody who does not agree with that list is suppressing the truth ....
I didn't say this :confused: um, my mistranslation ...

This are the original foolishnesses:
1 Die Irreleitung
2 Der Ordnungsverlust
3 Die Herrschaft der Konstrukte
4 Der Kult der Oberflaechen
5 Die Einebnung
6 Die Sucht nach Feindbildern
7 Die Verdraengung
:) Maybe Aran can find a better English version

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #15
Ah, sorry I took so long in replying to this...I just wasn't really sure what I wanted to say. I t hink I have it worked out now, though. =^.^=

On number 4, with the coming of the Internet, it's not as easy for one entity to control all that we see, hear, and read.

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #16
There is nothing remotely threatening about the lack of order. No first world society with the possible exception of Russia (which would have been called second world prior to the break-up of the USSR anyway) has such things as oligarchic factions feuding. There is no such thing as private war, people do not have to steal to get enough food to survive (although crime is still a quick route to wealth in some inner-city areas) and all round things are considerably safer than at most other times in our history.

Aside from which, too many rules can be a hindrance. I'm not arguing that there should be no rules (my Utopia would most likely be pretty authoritarian) but the law can become involved in bureaucracy and forget that every case is different, if only because the people and setting differ (and my Utopia would not last 30 seconds before descending into autofascism.) Laws should be in a constant state of flux as they adapt to change and frankly if a deed does not impact upon somebody's health or wellbeing, it's not as serious (although obviously speeding is still daft because you don't have precognisance of what your actions will result in.)

Do you wish to make a rebuttal, or shall we move on to point 7?

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
You mays well move on to point 7. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #18
I have absolutely no problem with number 4. That's no more a sin or foolishness than taking a piss when you wake up.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #19
I'm not arguing for more laws, BtI. I complain about the fact, that certain people don't adhere to the law anymore.
And I cannot follow your arguments. You say, people have not to steal to get enough food. And why some steal nevertheless? No privat war? What's with the daily war on streets, called traffic? Nothing is safer nowadays - au contraire - with terrorism we have a new threat.

I agree with your second part. Laws can produce a lot of bureaucracy and seem meaningless. But if you don't like a law, change it! Therefor are plebiscites and referendums.
As a cyclist, I am glad about speed limits and traffic rules. And I never would cross a red light, because I don't want to give cardrivers a bad example,
Also: To follow meaningless laws and to perceive the increasing misdemeanours in big cities leads directly to point 7. We suppress our anarchistic tendency, or we are annoyed by the behaving of others and suppress our anger ^_^

David, to worship superficies is indeed no problem ...
... if you think, it's normal that women ruin their health with diets, plastic surgery and high heels.
...if you appreciate the value of fashion and the social consequences of wearing scrubs (well, this could cause problems: when kids start illegal actions to get their labels ...)
... if you like it, to see a half true fiction in the news, because it's all embedded infotainment.
... if you believe propaganda and prefer to dream on a cosy cloud in a polished world of shallow promises.
and so on.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

... if you believe propaganda and prefer to dream on a cosy cloud in a polished world of shallow promises.
FYI, Sir David is a supporter of Bush. So in other words, yes.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
There's no need for pessimism. Try to think of the advances we've made as well. There's something sadly ironic about people complaining on the internet about the cost of progess.

Living in the polluted, unstable world of today is still preferable to the days before public sanitation, when 50% of all children died of infectious disease or starvation before the age of 5. Even in the poorest countries in the world today, the situation is at least better than that.

I'm not one for making rash predictions, but I predict that within our lifetimes, the standard of living everywhere in the world will be superior to that of modern Western society.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #22
As I said, people steal because it's easier that way. If the situation was ever better, it was because we hung people who stole spoons. One presumes you don't advocate a return to that?

Traffic is not on a level with private war. Private war to me means local magnates conscripting their tenants to fight one another. It doesn't mean being 10 minutes late for work. Perhaps lack of perspective would be a better modern 'sin.'

Terrorism is not an everpresent threat. Quite apart from the fact that terrorism has been declining since 2001 and casualties have been declining since 1998, terrorism tends to strike major landmarks. Things may be dangerous for those working in or near them but for the vast majority of us the risks are somewhat lower.

As to the traffic thing, that's probably just a cultural thing. In Britain the general principle is that cars shouldn't skip red lights because it's clearly illegal and being hit by a car hurts, whilst pedestrians can take their chances if the lights are red and no car is in sight because they ought to have some idea of risks as compared to benefits.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by The Hexamethonium Man:

Living in the polluted, unstable world of today is still preferable to the days before public sanitation, when 50% of all children died of infectious disease or starvation before the age of 5. Even in the poorest countries in the world today, the situation is at least better than that.
I'm not sure, whether this does better. It caused a new problem (or challenge, if you prefer that): Since babies survive, the world population is growing fast. We have six billions and something now and the poorest countries breed - with our help - the most. I admit the global growth rate has been reduced for the first time - but we still grow by 2,3 humans per second. About 2050, earth will be crowded by 9 billions ...
But you are right, pessimism should be used in homeopathic doses.
btw: Hexamethonium? In heavy doses? A ganglia blocker?? o_o

um, "war" was a flowery exaggeration =_=. I only hate reckless drivers.

In my opinion, "The 7 Foolishnesses ..." are a nice impulse to reflect things. I did or do commit every of the "sins" (without 5 maybe), and it's good to become aware of them.

--------------------