Which board is better?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Which board is better?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #0
Do you prefer these boards or the Lyceum better?
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
You can't compare them. The Lyceum is almost totally concerned with Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum, while the Spiderweb forum has a gigantic sector of off-topic threads (refer to 'What kind of music are you listening to', 'Is TNR or T%K the better policy concerning stray animals?', etc.).

I'm only marginally concerned with Blades, so of course I prefer a more general, varied community, that talks about more than scenarios. A veteran designer might prefer the Lyceum.

However, one fact stands: If you post something only here, more people will know it than if you post it only at the Lyceum.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #2
I never knew the other one existed, and don't understand why I would need to go to another board to get Spiderweb information

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
The Lyceum's been around far longer than the Spidweb boards, dampeoples. It's like the place for Blades of Exile (and to a lesser extent Blades of Avernum) discussion.

It's basically the community center for the die-hard BoE community.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
If you want to visit, here's the link:

The Lyceum

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
The Lyceum is also home to CSR, which is the most reliable ratings table for either BoE or BoA.

They're different. Apples and oranges. I go to the Lyceum for CSR and Olympia and any serious Blades discussion, and I come here to chat or talk about BoA when I don't care if the responses are from experienced designers or not. I also hang out here to talk about Geneforge or the Avernum Trilogy.

I also literally read old Lyceum threads for fun. They have threads going back to mid-'01 (or sometimes even earlier), so it's entertaining to see what TM was like when he was a newbie, for example. On a related note, the old Megasite threads make interesting reading (and contain some very fun Alcritas rants, too).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #6
Eh, well as the only forum I visit on Spidweb besides General is BoE, I have to say I certainly don't go to Spiderweb for discussion about the games, although there are a few things which crop up in the BoE forums which I like reading.

If I myself have ANY questions about BoE, I go to the Lyceum, no question. You get a much faster response, from much more knowledgeable people, and chances are if any discussion springs up, it won't be off-topic. Then there's rankings.

Also, OMG KEL I REED TEH OLD THREDS 2!!11

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #7
On average, I tend to enjoy Lyceum threads more. However, there are more threads here. If I wanted Blades info, I'd be going there.

However, I haven't loaded Blades up for about 6 months (and it's not even installed at the moment.) I still try to hang around at the Lyceum, but since it moves rather slower, I find myself only visiting about once a month, and then mostly to lurk.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Just something I noticed (yes, I do notice many things), as of before I posted this, me and Rosy had exactly the same number of posts. But now I'm ahead, hehe.

I usually just visit here because there's more trash talk and dumb topics and such. :P And if I wanted to ask something here on any Spiderweb game (or anything else, too) I could just post it here. Also, this board seems to be much more active than the Lyceum, though TM does keep his username there. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #9
The difference, of course, is that the SW boards suck horribly and the Lyceum is awesome.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
It's like comparing apples and oranges, only in the way that it's like comparing orange rinds to a red delicious.
Lyceum all the way.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Yes, as you can see, viewpoints will vary. Thus if you're interested in political/philosophical discussions, Spiderweb (and, to a certain extent, Polaris and Desperance) is your place. If you want to discuss BoE or BoA, you go to the Lyceum.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
The difference, of course, is that the SW boards suck horribly and the Lyceum is awesome.

Why? Is it because the member suck so bad? :P

quote:
It's like comparing apples and oranges, only in the way that it's like comparing orange rinds to a red delicious.
Lyceum all the way.

Of course. I'll bet you're the Lyceum's #1 poster.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
...holy hell, you're right.

I have more posts on that damn board than Alcritas. >_<

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #14
ben: Yeah, of course his point is that the members suck so bad. A board is pretty much made by its members.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
The thing that's interesting to me is that the Lyceum's membership seems to consist of people who have made themselves useful in one way or another: making scenarios, playing LOTS of scenarios, something like that. These boards are not like that: even longtime members are not necessarily useful, possibly because it's much harder to define usefulness with regard to, say, Geneforge.

Even now, newbies pretty much only post at the Lyceum after they've finished their first scenario or (in BainIhrno's case) have played something like 100 scenarios. I wonder why this is.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
Because then and only then do they have any business posting there. :P

Also, Kel, whould you consider me "not useful?" I definately wouldn't blame you.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #17
I've played a handful of BoE scenarios and never released one, and I've been posting at the Lyceum since pre-ezBoard days. So I think I disprove your theory, Kel.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
I was thinking of you as I posted that, Djur. You have beta tested a good handful, haven't you?

EDIT: Evidently not. Djur, you are dead weight and you need to leave the Lyceum. Take your thirty dollar donation with you. :P

EDIT 2: I can't believe I actually fell for that. He somehow managed to make me forget that he HOSTED the Lyceum (the web site, not the boards) on Desperance for a good while. Djur, what are you trying to pull? Honestly.

I cannot be fooled. :cool:

[ Sunday, August 08, 2004 17:34: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #19
Djur is unfailingly modest and humble, while never making the error of taking great pride in his modesty and humility.

t Rosy and Kel here's a fellow old-thread peruser.

I'm registered on both boards, although I post far more often on this board. I'm an occasional lurker at the Lyceum, and once in a long while, have something to say. I'm no ardent Blades player, but if I were I'd certainly favor the Lyceum. I don't exactly like Spidweb, but occasionally one can sift through the massive amounts of extraordinarily poor topics to find something rather worthwhile. The flame wars and rants, however, are the major elements at SW that tend to keep me coming back. There just aren't enough idiots around at Desp. or the Lyceum to make for entertaining conflicts.

[ Monday, August 09, 2004 15:03: Message edited by: Wholly Halfhearted ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #20
I lurk the Lyceum constantly, and have been doing so since it's opening. But I've never registered. There is something intimidating about all the good scenario designers. Here, it's quite different...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

The Lyceum's been around far longer than the Spidweb boards, dampeoples. It's like the place for Blades of Exile (and to a lesser extent Blades of Avernum) discussion.

Well, dang. I've never actually played Exile...

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
I lurked at the Lyceum and here all the time long before I registered here. I thought I'd be content with just reading the posts, but after I finally did register...I found it was much better. The Lyceum is good for information on BoE, but here we can talk about anything, be it SW games or not, and it's fine. I'm sure I'd rather post my off-topic thread here than over at the Chatterbox.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by dampeoples:

quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Well, dang. I've never actually played Exile...

That explains a lot.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #24
They may be different, but if I had to choose I'd go for the Lyceum.
I tried logging in but the e-mail that was supposed to have been sent with my logging info never did. The AI probably recognized me and filtered me. Good choice.

SW has a bigger scope, for sure. And somehow even though I've contributed nothing to the community I've been able to post good number of posts. The darker side of freedom of speech.

Even though I couldn't loggin, I've enjoyed a great deal lurking in the Lyceum. The archives are interesting and highly enjoyable.

Also I was able to read about that controversy. The only so far?

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)

Pages