The trouble with democracy is every idiot gets a vote.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The trouble with democracy is every idiot gets a vote.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #50
We would have to change our electoral laws in order for a third party to gain any sort of power, I think. I really don't like our two-party system, because I don't feel that it gives us a great deal of choice, but we're pretty much stuck with it in the system that we're in right now.

What I would really like to do is push for proportional representation in the lower house of Congress. Instead of voting for a representative, everyone in the nation would vote for a party, and then seats would be assigned according to percentages, ie, if the Democrats got 48% of the vote, they would get 48% of the seats, and if the Greens got 3% of the vote, they would get 3% of the seats -- which really doesn't sound like a lot, but that comes out to about 13 seats, which is a pretty big deal. The parties would have set up ordered lists of 435 people who would serve as Representatives, so they would have declared already who they wanted to be in there.

It'd be really interesting to see what third parties did in this case, because it would give them a say -- and in fact, the House of Representatives would probably be taken by a coalition, not a specific party, which would completely change the way that decision-making happens.

But that's just a pipe dream. We're stuck with the two-party system, along with the ups of such a system and, as we've been seeing for the past few years (or maybe as much as a decade or so), the downs of it, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #51
:D That's exactly our system.
*Switzerland is a Federal State with a two-chamber-parliament and seven federal governors - and a good balance between the factions.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #52
spy.there: so thing work fine in Switzerland? Are the two parties very different from each other? Or do the differences merge or muddle more often than not?
Heard good things about the quality of life in Switzerland. Care to comment?

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)

Pages