Paradox Entertainment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Paradox Entertainment
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #0
Paradox Entertainment: specifically, their excellent and oddly addictive historical PC games.

Discuss.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #1
:cool: I'm outside.
mac.there

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #2
If you don't have anything of even the most remote value to say, don't post, bigot.

T Alec We all know how much you love Victoria, EU, etc. but almost nobody but you and Adam Cadre have ever played them. I thought you couldn't afford computer games?

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
I'm not so broke I can't afford a game or two a year at $20-ish.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

If you don't have anything of even the most remote value to say, don't post, bigot.

I pitiful feeded Alec's abandoned topic. And I did say something ("Why do you bring up always those PC-games, when half of us is on Mac?")
:) Well, it was between the lines.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
'Abandoned' caused me to look the dates of the posts...

Alec: written July 16, 2004 12:00 AM

spy.there: written July 16, 2004 10:40 AM

Do we have some sort of a time machine here? :confused:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
12 am is midnight, the first hour of the day. One of the little quirks of the 12-hour time system. I suppose you use 24-hour time in Germany?
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #7
I haven't played any of these games. But I enjoyed strategy games, board or pc.

I tried looking for demos and found none.

If you were to recommend one, which would it be?

(I have no preference as far as subject matter goes, as long as it's a good game)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
To return to my poor, undernourished topic:

If I had to recommend one, Europa Universalis II. It's the oldest of the titles I'm familiar with and thus the cheapest, it has fewer moving parts than Hearts of Iron and far fewer than Victoria, and it's the longest of any of them.

It takes a LONG time to get used to, but it's very fun.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
I was ignoring this topic, but it looks like I'll add my 2 cents afterall.

Europa Universalis II is, indeed, a good game. Despite what some people might tell you, it should be worth most intelligent peoples time.

See if you can't find a copy somewhere. While you're looking, find Grim Fandango as well.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #10
A word of warning: it may do well to buy an English-localized version, as I'm told that Paradox, while well-meaning, is very bad at translations into some languages; it goes from humorously poor to in some places gameplay-threatening (example: in the French localization of Victoria, 'timber' and 'lumber', two different resources, are both called 'bois' -- some confusion there!). If your English is good enough to deal with it, the English localization is likely to be a good deal more coherent than the Spanish one.

For the specifics of that, you'd have to ask someone who's played both, but I know for a fact that the English version gets more patches.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #11
Alec and Demonslayer, thanks Guys!
Alec, don't worry about the English version, though I thank you for the warning. Luckily I have a sister living in the states (the lucky one actually fell in love and married a Gringo, which gives one hope!)
Anyway, I avoid Spanish versions like the plague. Games in Spanish are like dubbed movies. Yech.
(I don't get it how Europeans can dub stuff so happily.)
EU II it is. Liked what I read that it's long and sounds complex enough.
Cheers!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
Very complex. And if I remember correctly, very long as well. But when's the last time anyone complained about a long game?

If you manage to climb the learning curve, you'll find a near heaven, I believe.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00