Dr. Seuss Is Better Than Shakespeare

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dr. Seuss Is Better Than Shakespeare
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
I've been pondering literature lately and am definitely thinking Dr. Seuss is far better than Shakespeare. I think Dr. Seuss will eventually eclipse Shakespeare in his importance if he hasn't already.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #1
Oh, of course. But Rowling is rather preferable to Seuss, in my opinion.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #2
I hate the Harry Potter Books. She is more popular now but after she is dead I don't think anyone will remember her like they do Dr. Seuss. They say she inspired a new generation to read well our beloved Doctor has had us reading since early childhood.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Shiny Things:

Oh, of course. But Rowling is rather preferable to Seuss, in my opinion.
Kicking you in the groin now.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
you better be using heavy metal boots. :P

Seuss is cool. Rowling is not.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #5
Suess... now there was a man...

However, Rowling can never quite be the man Suess is :P

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Ultimate Weapon Custer:

Kicking you in the groin now.
quote:
Originally written by Wise Imbaman:

you better be using heavy metal boots. :P

Seuss is cool. Rowling is not.

I'm not alone :eek: .
Well if you really look at it you can't compare the two. Shakespeare wrote epic poems when Seuss wrote beloved childhood books.

[ Saturday, July 03, 2004 17:53: Message edited by: A guy with pretty good grammar ]
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #7
I am betting that in the future Harry Potter will end up becoming one of the 'Classics' and High School students will be forced to read them for the grade.

As for Suess, I still have all his books carefully packed away. My favourite Suess book was "Would you rather?" it brought to light all these important questions I had never even thought of before, like would I rather have purple hair or green.

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Rowling made her career by ripping off Roald Dahl at every turn. The fact that more children are now reading the former author than the latter adds insult to injury.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
I really didn't know she was ripping off Dahl. How badly does she do so? I've never read her work and Dahl was my favorite author as a child, hands-down.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
What, you're telling me Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans didn't remind you of Dahl at all? :P
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #11
Maybe parts of the HP series are slighly Dahl'ish, but I don't think it's a ripoff of Dahl.

Anyway, who the hell is Dr. Seuss?

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #12
She isn't ripping off Dahl very blatantly. Which is a pity, to my mind. Mind you, she is very readable. It's just that if she's 'inspiring a generation to read' serious effort needs to be put in to make sure they read other things as well.

Dolney, Shakespeare didn't write epic poetry. He wrote plays and sonnets. Epic poetry is Paradise Lost, the Iliad, the Odyssey, Beowulf, Gilgamesh and things of that ilk.

Personally, I'm no great fan of Shakespeare, but I like Seuss still less. In Britain, they aren't read as much (I never saw one im my primary school) but when I later compared them to the books I did read at that age, I wasn't impressed in the slightest.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
The thing to note is that Harry Potter is addressed to children about 2-3 years older than those reading Seuss's work. The Hobbit is interesting to children 1-2 years older than those reading Harry Potter. Interest in The Lord of The Rings starts perhaps 1-2 years after the Hobbit. Shakespeare maybe (if at all), 2-3 years after Tolkien.

To summarize, Seuss is for primary school, Rowling wrote a children's book, Tolkien kicks ass, and neither of the two are a match for Shakespeare. In my very humble opinion, of course. :P

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 05:03: Message edited by: Old Aran ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #14
Shakespeare is for very puerile adults. It is a travesty that Shakespeare is regarded as high-culture. Read him and enjoy him, but throw aside the assertion that his work is the greatest pinnacle of the English language.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
I disagree. Hamlet is one of my favorite books of all time, and whenever I see any of his plays performed well -- in Ashland, Oregon, for instance -- I am absolutely blown away. Few other works do that to me -- Paradise Lost is one -- and no author that I've ever read was consistently at Shakespeare's level.

Dr. Seuss is good, but I prefer Shel Silverstein.

EDIT: Although the bit about him not being high culture is pretty true. His work is filled with entirely too many penis jokes and that sort of thing to be proper at a formal occasion.

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 09:52: Message edited by: Just Call Me Kel ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Dr. Seuss is entertaining, and his books have that remarkable quality of not evincing glaring condescension towards their young readers. He was funny. That's about it.

Shakespeare was vastly more prolific and more literary. I'm not sure whether he threw in all the literary devices that cause English teachers to swoon world-wide on purpose or by accident, but they're there. He created words and phrases that have become part of the English lexicon. In other words, regardless of the quality of his works (which I happen to think are quite impressive), he is probably unparalleled in impact on the language itself.

—Alorael, who thinks that's a pretty good reason to declare Shakespeare mister big English man. Rowling, sadly, wrote books that were indeed good, but not so good that all the publicity and cult worship is merited.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #17
That's a rather sweeping statement to make, BtI, that only "puerile adults" can find any enjoyment out of Shakespeare, a statement which is simply not true. Granted, some of the comedies are outdated (though I enjoyed Twelfth Night) and Romeo and Julliet has been warped beyond expression by modern adaptations (though the Baz Lehrman version was a fine film), but many of his plays are inspired, and I'd be hard pushed to name a better playwright.

I fail to see the value of high culture anyway.

On the matter of Dr. Seuss, I've never been particularly impressed with any of his stories. As for Harry Potter, poorly written as they may be, they are still very readable.

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 10:44: Message edited by: Morgan ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #18
My virtual groin hurts.

I don't particularly like Rowling.
I don't particularly like Suess.
I thought this was a trolling topic.

Damn difficult trying to communicate sarcasm in text. :P

EDIT: So THIS is how I got this rating all of a sudden.

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 13:51: Message edited by: Shiny Things ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #19
Seuss introduced absurdism into children's literature. His imitators are legion, and none of them toe the line he did between staid and vulgar, boring and incomprehensible.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #20
I have always enjoyed Dr. Suess

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #21
Probably just a typo, but I like how that sentence has a sense of un-finality (:S) to it, without the period.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #22
Dr. Seuss invented the low vocabulary childrens primer. Most of the books have a vocabulary of no more than 200 words which are mostly comprehensible to very young children. He started by identifying very commonly understood english then mixed and matched the wording in absurd combinations-- thus coming up with One Fish Two Fish and The Cat In The Hat. For a long time he was an editor at Random House founding the Beginner books series. :D I think this had a tremendous impact on literacy. I also love his artwork-- it is absolutely ridiculous.

I find Shakespeare to be extremely overrated. I would much rather read epics than Shakespeare.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
This is not intended as an insult, just a question: do you have difficulty understanding Shakespeare? At least ninety percent of the dislike of Shakespeare I've ever run into has been from people who can't get past the slightly archaic language. A small but noticeable few have a different gripe with it, so I'm just wondering which category you fall into.

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 18:10: Message edited by: Just Call Me Kel ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
I understand it perfectly well, but I still don't really like it. Once you take out the obscurities of the language and try to look at it like a normal book or play, it falls short when compared to pretty much anything else in terms of plot and character development.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages