Good books?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Good books?
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #50
I've been slowly trudging through The Tale of Genji. Not easy reading, but it's mostly just various sexual escapades and court intrigue... There's this fantastically entertaining part where the protagonist and his best friend have more or less of a love triangle with an old woman... I read it on my lunch break. It's like reading a romance novel without all the raised eyebrows.

--------------------
"'I saw the duckling hatch and disappear.
Sadly I ask who may have taken it.'"
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #51
One of my favorite authors is Raymond E. Fiest. His first two books, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master are high on my list of favorites and I enjoyed his other books too.

Terry Brooks' Shanara books are good also.

Read some Douglas Adams!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #52
Illuminatus!

The greatest series ever penned. When I first read "The Eye In The Pyramid," I literally went mildly insane for a few days.

Most of the Cthulhu Mythos literature is pretty good, too. "At the Mountains of Madness" is great.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #53
"The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul" is probably one of my favorite books ever, almost entirely for Chapter 3, when Dirk makes his entrance, kind of. :)
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #54
Andrea: I heard that Guillermo del Toro (dir. of Blade II, Cronos, Mimic, Devil's Backbone, Hellboy) may do "At the Mountains of Madness" as film.
Also, if you like Illuminatus, be sure to check out Shrodinger's Cat also by RAW. In fact, you may wanna check some of his other work, they are more philosophical, less fiction, but still mind blowing.

Dirk Gently was so fantastic!!!

A funny book that I don't think was mentioned (may have been and I've forgotten) is:

"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Patchet.

There are a couple of non-fiction books I read recently which were good:

The Hot Zone (it scared the jeebee jeebees out of me!)
Fermat's Enigma about Fermat's Theorem. Very interesting.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)

Pages