Spiderweb-Storm Impact. Connection?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spiderweb-Storm Impact. Connection?
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #0
For anyone who doesn't know, Storm Impact was a company that was around for the mid 80's and early 90's, they wrote the games "TaskMaker" and "The Tomb of the TaskMaker", which registration codes have been released somewhere and can still be downloaded at a site I will mention later.

I am an old taskmaker series fan, the other day I found the site of another fan. ( http://www.btinternet.com/~G.Janacek/Taskmaker.html ) Somewhere in there it says that the Exile series was partly inspired by the game TaskMaker. (it says that about Realmz too, but we already know the connection between spidweb and fantasoft).

Jeff?

I'll be posting the reg codes when i find them (unless someone says i shouldn't do that on these boards) yes they work for every copy of it you use it on, no this isn't copyright infringement, the place i got it from was a post by the owner of the company, plus, its not even a company anymore.

--------------------
spiderweb soft make an mmorpg!
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #1
the reg codes were somewhere around the underdog's forums but rather that digging there DL it from there already registered

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4496 <- taskmaker

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Tomb+of+the+TaskMaker <- tomb of the TM

waiting for replies....

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
If you're waiting for a response from Jeff, you may be waiting for a while.

I was wondering what happened to Storm Impact. The story makes interesting reading, although I wonder about the part that says that they gave up making games for the "huge" sum of $20,000. If it were, say, $20,000,000, then maybe, but 20K isn't that much money.

Jeff's an RPG fan going way back, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he played Taskmaker. And since it is a turn-based, old-school, 2-D RPG, it surely influenced his Exile design. Exile goes far beyond anything that Taskmaker ever did, though.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #3
Hmm, I'd often had the feeling that I was the only one who ever played TaskMaker and Tomb of the TaskMaker. Good to know I wasn't.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I played, registered and won the original TaskMaker, then found Tomb and was quite disappointed to find that StormImpact had folded when I got around to trying to register. Good to know it's still possible to find registration codes floating around, with its creator's approval.

StormImpact's also mildly famous in the shareware industry for winning a landmark lawsuit that acknowledged its right to restrict the distribution of the unregistered version to non-commercial use.

[ Tuesday, May 18, 2004 23:49: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #5
Kelan: we're talking '95~ here, 20k back then was a lot more than it is now, and as a general rule shareware designers that haven't made a helluva lotta games are pretty down on the cash.

Dareva: i feel that way too most of the time, it's not as famous as it says eh...

Thuryl: i finished the original taskmaker then found the tomb but i never finished it. Did they leave tomb halfway done somewhere in the process? i never got past the 6th mission...

anyway, do you think the Ultimas had anything to do with the exiles? Lord British did have a gift in storytelling...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Kelan: we're talking '95~ here, 20k back then was a lot more than it is now
Uh, not really. It certainly wasn't enough to live on for the rest of one's life, or even for more than a year or two. Maybe in 1895... IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

EDIT: By the way, you might want to change your sig. It's never going to happen, and it wouldn't be good if it did.

[ Wednesday, May 19, 2004 02:00: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #7
Not a huge difference, but a difference nontheless, plus, apply that to the "new programmers are usually poor" thingy and it makes sense. They all went their seperate ways and funded their own projects with the cash. On the info site there's links to the sites of the devs.

about my sig: Jeff clearly stated that after Geneforge 3 they had no idea what they'd do. so... ideas never hurt ya know

Edit: typos...

[ Wednesday, May 19, 2004 06:52: Message edited by: Midknight Warrior ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
He also stated in his Gamesome Mac interview (scroll down to April 5th) that he was not even considering an mmorpg anytime soon. And really, he's right. He doesn't have the technical expertise to do it. He's a far better storyteller than he is a programmer, and that's not conducive to writing in the mmorpg genre.

For some odd reason, I really liked Taskmaker, but I thought Exile was too archaic and had to play Avernum instead. Am I crazy? Probably.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #9
Taskmaker does have a catchiness to it...

did you finish it already? the first time it took me like three weeks, but then again, i was 7 >.>

MMORPG: well...no harm in asking, right?

edit: god my keyboard really hates me lately...typos

[ Wednesday, May 19, 2004 11:21: Message edited by: Midknight Warrior ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #10
I got fairly fast at finishing TaskMaker. Not a game with loads of replay value, in my opinion. Tomb was a bit better, since you could play as thief, fighter, or magician. I loved the tax-themed dungeon. Pretty funny.

Must go home and visit the cousin who has our old Mac. TaskMaker and Tomb are on that computer. I should play them again, as it's been a while.
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #11
Hehehe, the Taxmaker's dungeon was nice I agree, though I never got what you had to do... I got fed up with waiting fr my turn etherealed into the taxmaker's room and whooped his ass IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #12
That was about all you had to do, as I recall. That and fend off the tax guys who stole your money. Ah, the memories!

Of course, Spiderweb games are much better.

[ Thursday, May 20, 2004 14:28: Message edited by: dareva ]