Shattered Alliance - Remake

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Shattered Alliance - Remake
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #25
OOC: I'm killing off Trinn, and starting a new char to see how long the rp lasts. Trinn pretty much depended on Rin, and minus Rin, there is not much he can contribute.

IC:
Trinn walked quickly from the tavern, making his way to the meeting spot. He was eager, and excited. Too eager, and too excited to spot the crossbow being lowered.

The bolt pierced his heart, and he died instantly, his corpse sweeped off into the gutter where it lay, and slowly rotted. One fewer political dissident, one fewer opportunist lived and breathed in Arcadina.

In time, he would be dragged up against, recast as a hero. Forgetful time would purify his sins, and history will elevate him to demi-godhood. He would be analysed and re-analysed, immortalised in poetry.

But he cared little for these things, for he was dead, and only maggots and rats kept a vigil by his remains.

---

Ardavan had a son, as in common in the nobility that ruled Kliste. Life, even when peaceful, was never secure, and an heir smoothed the lives of those in charge.

Kor, son of Ardavan, or Korarda in the contraction favoured by the nobles, wished to be a warrior from the day he could hold a sword. Fighting was a disreputable occupation in earlier days. People were needed as merchants, tradesman, diplomats. Killers were too easy to find.

But times had grown tense. Fear had grown, and soldiery became neccessary again. And so, while Ardavan would have laughed his son's wishes aside, and thrust quill instead of halberd to his pleading hands, he instead indulged Korarda's wishes.

Yet he still feared his son. Fear that for all the training, he knew nothing of the true meaning of war, of murder of death. He loved too easily, hated too easily. He was not the ice required of a dedicated general, but a raging flame.

But love for his father would hold him, would bind him, would control him. And so, when Khatareh had left, the next to enter the room was Korarda himself.

He saluted proudly, shuffling in his chain and helm, and Ardavan returned the gesture. Instructions were given. Follow the wizard. Trace her investigation.

And then?

"Avenge your uncle, and restore your father's honor."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #26
Zortis walks into the pub. He sits down at a table and orders a drink.
Zortis: Zortis sighs. "I wonder who will hire me next." After he finishes his drink, he goes for a walk.

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 150 computers: read more!
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
One Small Step for man, one giant leap(SHCKXXXXXX)STOP POKING ME!!!
-Starcraft Observers
R.I.P-Here lies NSI, may this rp be remembered.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #27
"Well, that was quick," Maestro commented, taking a quick glance at Mirarn, who seemed to agree. "But, I see that we are all ready. Let's move."

"Aren't you going to buy some supplies for yourself?" Frederic asked, seeing that Maestro's only visible equipment was his twin blade sword.

"I don't have much of a reason to store most of my equipment in a visible location."

With that, the three left the tavern. Somehow, a strange priest managed to tag along behind them...

OOC: that priest would be yours, FB.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #28
The mage walked slowly in the shade of the great trees of the Market. Her robes marked her as a wizard, and the medallion hung about her neck proclaimed her as a member of the First Circle. That combination was not often seen in the common streets, but the merchants and customers that frequented the Market did not spare her a second glance - Khatereh was an exception. She was well known - as were all eight members of the First Circle - but unlike the rest, she was known for her gentle manner and humility. A humble mage. It was almost an oxymoron. And so the commoners liked her, and did not fear her. And because her hair was silver and her body brittle with age, they took care that they did not impede her.

Khatereh's progress was slow, for though she was aloof and the commoners left her well alone, the Market was busy. The Festival was coming soon. For all that the threat of war hung like stormclouds over the heart of Kliste, there would be riots if ever the Festival was cancelled. Khatereh paused, and passed beneath the wooden sill of a cleric's office.

The cleric was busy and spared no glance for the newcomer. Only when the mercenary's arm was set and the coin exchanged hands did he nod in greeting. "Member Khatereh. Do you need more of the cream?"

Khatereh smiled. "It does wonders for my joints on cold nights. You wield the true magic, brother."

"And it has taken me this many years to make you see that." Chuckling, the cleric stepped into a back storeroom. "But come, and I'll make up some more of the cream." Once they were inside and hidden from the main room, his demeanour turned serious. "We couldn't find him."

"I did not think so. But he is dead?"

"Near as we can tell, Sitruc is dead. It is said that one called Llywann killed him."

"And with him goes every chance of finding his employer. I do not like this, brother. Everything points to the Arcadinans. And yet they have denied responsibility, calling the border skirmish unprovoked."

"You did not expect them to do otherwise, did you? If they were at all serious about that claim, they should have chosen a different target. Ardavan is the least likely of all the lords to let such an attack on his family go unpunished. And he has enough influence amongst the others that they will side with him."

"And that is what troubles me." Khatereh's face was graced with a rare frown. "If they wished war, they chose the right target. The Arcadinan Court claims innocence, and I feel that their claim is honest. I cannot explain it."

"What would you have us do? We have lost the trail of the assassin."

"We have another to follow. The last one was sent by Lord Sadri. I believe he is not unconnected with this present investigation."

"Sadri?" The cleric's expression betrayed surprise. "Are you sure?"

"The boy's mindblock was imperfect. The impression of his orders was very strong." Khatereh's expression was mild, but her gaze was steel as the cleric asked her what she was going to do about it. "Send Trenton to me when he arrives. I do not dabble in Court politics, but Sadri's interference is becoming a nuisance."

The cleric had seen that expression before. He did not bother advising caution. In a matter of minutes he had finished mixing and bottling the cream, handing it to Khatereh with a smile. They stepped out of the storeroom.

Khatereh paused as her eyes swept the room. Three people moved about the room, and her piercing gaze settled on one in particular. There seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary with him: a youth, rich enough, with a sword strapped to his waist. He watched her with mild curiosity that showed uncommon poise in one of his years. Khatereh bowed slightly. "Lord Korarda."

She walked into the streets under his astonished gaze.

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
OOC: Oh darn. That's what comes from having your parents cut you off for several days, I guess... Too late now.

Rin is still in, and I intend to participate in this RP. I'm sorry for causing you to kill off your character, FZ.

IC:

Rin swore. This had not been the first time contacts had been abruptly killed off before meeting him. He was monitored, he knew. But why did they leave him alone, if he was that easy to trace?

He had been following the events concealed behind a corner in a side street, when the man had collapsed soundlessly. Arrow or crossbow bolt, Rin reasoned. With professionals, there was little chance of survival, and indeed, from the way he had fallen, he was probably dead.

Rin waited close to fifteen minutes, and entered the street.

This will get you killed at nine out of ten odds, you fool of a spy. The dry voice of instinct remarked inside him. He was perfectly aware that the assassin might be trying to bait Rin and kill him as well.

No bolt came as Rin walked down the dark street. He passed the corpse on the ground - heart pierced, dead as a doornail.

"Sorry, man. This doesn't seem to be your day," Rin muttered tactfully. An apology of sorts. Nodding once more to the dead man, he went on carefully.

If they could track him down that quickly and accurately, he was in severe trouble.

Now let's see what I can do to shake them off.

OOC: More will follow later.

Edit: Okay, I think I've figured out how to do it.

IC:

Rin was buggered, as they say. He knew that agents were following his every step, and he could not do anything efficient while they were. So how to shake them off? He ticked off his possibilities mentally.

Fake death? Nice, but there was no corps, nor any way to make it look plausible.

Pretend to leave town? It was near impossible to actually leave the capital without the guards noticing. Forget about make the guards believe he was leaving.

Kill the guards following him? There were bound to be more where they came from, and it wouldn't be a secret who was responsible. Besides, his orders were to avoid violence where possible. While there had been peace, Rin thought wrily.

And suddenly, Rin was hit by something. Metaphorically speaking, anyway. It wasn't a missile, and it didn't hurt him, other than in the sense that the sudden realization of immense stupidity is painful.

That other man had not just been anyone. He had looked like Trinn Deslar, a historical figure who had called for the end of the alliance years ago. From the curious message he had received, it actually had been Deslar. They were in Arcadina, and Trinn was still - had been still, Rin amended - as a rebel. Could it not have been he who had been tracked down by assassins? If so, he would not be watched right now.

He needed to test that theory.

Rin suddenly broke into a run. Rounding a corner into another street, he jumped over a low wall, around and behind the house in fenced off, over another wall and into another street. Entering a side alley, he sat down and waited, carefully examining the part of the street which he could see.

According to everything Rin had believed as a beginner, they would either pass by or peer into the side street, in any case confirming his suspicions. He was experienced now and knew that any professional would just wait outside until he appeared.

Arduously climbing up the wall, Rin glanced down at the street from the roof, knowing that whoever was tracking him must be on the street at least. Nobody.

Paranoid bastard. Rin ignored the thought; he had to be paranoid. Still, the better part of an hour wasted on hunting shadows...

He made his way carefully back to the inn. It was late in the night, and even spies had to catch some sleep. In the morning, he hoped, he would gain some insight into the recent events. Too bad he could not send messages back to Kliste; he would have to solve that problem tomorrow as well.

[ Tuesday, February 17, 2004 13:54: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #30
OOC: ah yes, i was waiting for someone to reply.

IC:
As Maestro tried to leave the inn, some man walked right into him, as of trying to escape something. Both fell on their backs. Being someone who has to know of most if not all the shady characters in the land, Maestro almost immediately recognized the man as Rin, a spy that could prove to be quite useful to Maestro and the Sentinels.

"Hey you," Maestro grabbed Rin's shoulder just as the spy was about to get out of his sight. Whether Maestro would be recognized, he would soon find out...

[ Tuesday, February 17, 2004 14:31: Message edited by: Generic Wise Man ]

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #31
thanks Aran.

--------------------
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
OOC: You're in Arcadina, WM? I'm a bit confused... but what does it matter. There was some mixup about whether the bar was in Kliste or Arcadina; Rin is a Kliste spy in Arcadina. IC will have to wait for now, I'm tired to death (and will probably have no connection for about 2 days. Let's see.

Edit:

That, FZ, was extremely nasty. IMAGE(Shattered Alliance - Remake (2)_files/tongue.gif)

[ Tuesday, February 17, 2004 17:10: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #33
Korarda breathed in deeply. How could she have known? Of course. She was a mage.

For a moment, his thoughts fluttered to that of his father sending him on this mission. It was a mistake of him to send him, it must have been. But immediately, his mind shied away. No, it couldn't have. It must have been his own fault.

Feeling shame, he continued to tail the mage. His cover may have been blown, but he still had a purpose. For all the time wasting over skin cream, the mage had a purpose too, and he must be mindful of that...

That must have been it, the reason why he was sent. The mage may be able to detect him, but he could give away no information, as he knew nothing. And since mind reading was maddeningly difficult, the mage would have no real inclination to check on his thoughts. He would be hidden in plain sight. Yes, his father is wise. Korarda recited it to himself.

Sadri? Who was Sadri? His mind ran over the dozens of noblemen who often visited. Yes, Sadri visited recently, and father had greeted him as an old friend. He was a friend to him as well, and if Khatereh revealed herself to be an enemy of Sadri...

He clasped his dagger tightly, and ran in pursuit.

---

Miles away in a city of Arcadina, Rin left the scene of Trinn's death. His assassins did not reappear either. Thus, no one picked up the additional note in his breast pocket.

"Rin,
If you are reading this, I am probably dead, and very likely by your hand. Since I didn't give a certain password to a certain person, an envelope will be opened at dusk today, containing all the neccessary details and exposing your activities. Rot in hell, Kliste Slime!"
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #34
OOC: I can't think of anything to post here, so I'll just wait until WM or Aran posts something.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ugnagnok
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #35
OOC: i really need Aran's reply right now... i wouldn't know whether Rin would know who Maestro is, seeing how Maestro is a major part of the Sentinels.

--------------------
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #36
A street, two more, and Korarda caught up with Khatereh - her pace was unhurried, though purposeful. She gave no indication that she knew of the young nobleman who followed her, but in truth she was aware of little else. All her attention was focused on Korarda. For a moment, she experienced doubt. His father was honourable, as much as any politician could be. But she did not trust him. Yet she did not think even he would send a beloved son against a mage. And again, there was Sadri.

Ah, Sadri.

And if she did not trust Ardavan, she held even less faith in Sadri. Produce evidence that he had commanded the failed assassination attempts, and she would be believed. Sadri would lose his office and whatever political standing he had. Merely speak the truth, and her word was evidence in itself. But it would achieve nothing, only drive her undeclared enemy to the ground and destroy the chance that he might lead her to the truth of Lord Fahrang.

She wished the murderers were, indeed, the Arcadinans. It would make it simpler. For her, for Kliste. But life was rarely simple.

Khatereh passed through the gates of the Order, into the familiar halls that had served as her home for more years than many would have believed. The noise of the streets dropped away, the silence filled instead with the stately reserve of the bookish and - for the most part - elderly. Making her way through the magnificent yet conservative entrance hall, she idly wondered how long it would be before Korarda gathered the nerve to enter.

---

Trenton whistled tunelessly to himself.

The caravaner ran one hand down the flank of his newly acquired horse. He hawked and spat casually, then nodded. "Aye, he'll do. Three hunned fer the lot, an' not a copper risti more."

Trenton smiled. "Seven hundred."

"Four. I've a friend down Marrick way'll take the grey for 'is lady."

"Six. They're well trained. I'm doing you a favour."

"Four an' thirty. Give 'em to me for that, an' the little lady'll thankee."

Trenton blinked. He nodded cautiously.

"Aye!" The caravaner gave him a gaptoothed grin. "Ye go'n now. The little lady, she be dancin' fer joy. I'll make sure to tell 'er, the grey's special for 'er. Why, go see 'er now, and she'll give ye a fresh baked cake."

"I'll do that." Trenton accepted his money. So. The Klisten mage wanted to see him, and urgently. The mage was not the most frequent employer, but she paid well.

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #37
"Damned horse-robbers," Trenton muttered loudly, stepping inside. "Four hundred thirty? I could've sold a dead cat for that."

In the alcove.

He looked around, scanning the room. There, there she was; the curtain hid all but her hair, as he knew she intended. He strolled down the hall, trying to walk straight and act calm. This place always set him on edge. Halfway down the hall, he slowed, drifted to the wall, and leaned himself against it, tapping his fingers.

"Sadri."

"What?" He straightened quickly, looking at her through the corner of his eye. She had not moved.

"You'll get the usual when you return. Sadri's rich, and you can be, too, if you're smart enough to sell outside of Kliste. Otherwise, you're dead."

"But Sadri?"

He saw a flash of gold, and looked down. Two coins hit the stone and bounced. He stepped to the side, casually, as if shifting his weight, then bent down to palm the coins.

"You're not paid to think, Trenton, or to care. You are paid to do you job, and do it well. You know where to find me, when it's done."

He stood up slowly, slipping the coins into a concealed pouch. He risked a glance at her; she still hadn't moved.

"Right. Right." He turned slowly, and began walking back the way he had come. He put his hand on the door, which swung open; he jumped back to allow the young man through.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you we there."
"That's fine," Trenton replied. "I wasn't paying attention."

Stop him.

The young man smiled nervously at him, and walked slowly into the hall.
"How's the cake?" the caravaner asked, displaying his graveyard teeth once more.
"Fine, it's..." Trenton began, distracted. He looked over his shoulder; the young man had just noticed the alcove, and was slowly making towards it. Trenton closed the door on the caravaner, drew his knife, and crept after Kor.

[ Saturday, February 21, 2004 13:20: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.

Pages