Avernum Online

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum Online
Apprentice
Member # 2119
Profile #0
Any chance to come to fruition? I would pay to play in a heartbeat. I cut my "online RPG" teeth on tile-based adventuring and still prefer it over all the fancy 3D graphics and Dolby Digital sound you can throw at me. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Avernum Online_files/wink.gif)

Or the next best thing, how about a multiplayer Avernum system where anyone can run a server and generate their own "persistent worlds"? Sorta like NWN but with the Avernum engine. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Avernum Online_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
GuildBoss - Guild and Clan Manager for Windows
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
This topic is a Spiderweb perennial. The answer is still no. Jeff does not have the resources to make Avernum Online, the engine does not lend itself to online play, and the stars have not reached the correct alignment.

—Alorael, who supposes an AO like NWN could work fiscally, but it still won't be programmed. Even if everything else worked out, it's a risky new venture that Jeff would want to avoid as long as he can make money cranking out standard RPG's.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #2
Plus, it's turn-based, as all Jeff's games are (including Geneforge, although that's kinda mock-real-time, but the combat is turn-based...). There's no way a massively multiplayer turn-based game will ever be feasible.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
Timed turns.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #4
You just ate my brain. uuuaaaugraa. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Avernum Online_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #5
This should really go in the FAQ. It's been asked too many times, especially as of late.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2933
Profile Homepage #6
if there was an avernum online i'd have to check myself into rehab.
Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #7
Avernum bites compared to Exile anyway.

Well AVernum is still good, but there's only 20 spells or so. Exile has about 70 or so. I'd play online if it were Exile online or something.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Waffle Guy:

You just ate my brain. uuuaaaugraa. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Avernum Online_files/smile.gif)
For future reference, this is a bulletin board, not a chat program. You want to convey this sort of thing, you do it over PM or IM.
General rule: "If it doesn't need saying, don't bother saying it."

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Apprentice
Member # 3554
Profile #9
The original Neverwinter Nights from about 10 years ago was actualy a massively multiplayer turn based game. It sort of worked, almost. But it had problems. Like if you and 6 people were fighting a group of monsters, you could run away, rest for several weeks (over the course of 30 seconds) and then return and rejoin the fight where only a few rounds had gone by.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

..the engine does not lend itself to online play..
He could always code a new, yet Avernum-like engine, for MMORPG-uses. That way he would have a game that sells dang well, plus a ready engine for forthcoming Avernum-like games.

*I'll now start waiting for someone to ask if Drakey could ban me..*

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Apprentice
Member # 2119
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Omlette:

Plus, it's turn-based, as all Jeff's games are (including Geneforge, although that's kinda mock-real-time, but the combat is turn-based...). There's no way a massively multiplayer turn-based game will ever be feasible.

-E-

The original NWN was turn-based. Legends of Kesmai was based on a system of timed rounds. It could work. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Avernum Online_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2119
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Sir Motrax of Exile:

This should really go in the FAQ. It's been asked too many times, especially as of late.
It's more of a wish than anything but still it would be a good idea to put it in writing.

Edit: FYI, I did a search for "online" before posting this and out of 39 previous posts, nothing looked relevant.

[ Wednesday, October 15, 2003 05:31: Message edited by: GuildBoss ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #13
It is asked a lot: there's a topic about it around once a month.

And although online turn-based games could work, massively multiplayer ones would be guaranteed to have problems. Either you'd have everyone who was online at once time taking turns, so that you had to wait to input a command while thousands of other people did their turns, or you would have turns only in combat, resulting problems like those mentioned already due to lack of synch.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Apprentice
Member # 3520
Profile #14
I do recall(as anyone who knows me from, say a fortnight ago) that I made the same sugestion, yes i can beleive its a monthly thing, but since i posted the idea I have wisend and thought of possibly the biggest problem:
Story and timing; now all of the spiderweb games rely on excelent stories that continualy move and advance, but you get to go at your own pace, letting you drink in the rich tapestry of the story as you like it, and if you put the same thing into a mmorpg then you have the problem that not everyone is online at the same time and go at different paces, so regulaer and deturmind players went on it it would all be finished before the more casuel or intuetive players even logged on!
the point is that spiderweb games are desighned with just the one player in mind, and take advantage of the players patiance and rewards it well, howerver if you look at Neverwintern nights multiplayer, its very rarly about the story beacause some idiots just rush ahead and kill everything completing all quests whiles those carrying interesting conversation are left behind, meaning that NWN is as far as i am concerned a combat orientated multiplayer RPG, whiles it is fun it really couldent be put into say exile:3/Avernum:3.

--------------------
E=MC2 =Meaning of reletivity =meaning of life = Coke and Curry.