Spell points

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spell points
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #0
Why don't mages and archers ever run out of spell points or arrows? I'm just curious.

[ Monday, July 14, 2003 17:36: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Delierious?
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #1
it depends what game you're playing. in RPGs, it would make sense for them to run out of ammo or MP, but in RTS i think it'd be pretty reasonable to assume all ranged units have a lifetime supply of ammo.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #2
Yes, wiseman. The game has to play realistically, it doesn't matter if it is really realistic (if it was, then no-one would play it, it would be so boring).

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #3
No matter which RPG it is, the archers never run out of ammo. You do, but they don't(with the exception of one of the Final Fantasys)
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #4
Um, in Heroes 3, the archers and other ranged units run out of ammo, unless you buy an ammo cart.

Conversely, in Ultima 9, you never run out of arrows, and never have to buy any...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #5
Actually...

I distinctly remember a bit in one of the Avernums (I can't remember which, probably was Avernum 3) when I walked along a path where I was under fire from archers I couldn't get at. My party was way out of these guys' league so I didn't worry about them, but I had to double back a number of times because I was confused. After a bit, they stopped shooting. I didn't count how many shots they fired, but I actually think they exhausted their ammo. When I killed them, they weren't carrying any.

Plus, it's worth noting that when an archer shoots at you and you kill him, you'll get nine arrows from his corpse instead of the usual ten.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
In GF2, people run out of thorns.

And mages and priests do run out of spell points in Exile, but they regenerate faster than PC's do. Running out of spell points actually led to the death of one of my arena monsters. IMAGE(Spell points_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2810
Profile #7
Archers in the Avernum games definently run out of ammo if they keep firing, actually, your average archer has only got ten arrows in the first place. There is one possible exception to this and that is the giants who keep on throwing their huge rocks until you get into close combat with them. Maybe they can run out of rocks but I´ve never seen them do it and since they cause such awful damage I will probably never find out.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Presumably they can just keep picking up rocks (or boulders) off of the ground.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #9
Also, in PoG you and your enemies never have to buy arrows, and you or they never run out.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #10
Drakey: they can't. Do you remember that part in the giant caves where they carve the boulders that they're going to throw, and a special pops up to the effect that they only throw these carved boulders.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
Drakey also forgot to mention that NPCs have an absurdly large amount of spell points when compared to PCs in the Exile series, which helps make up for the fact that they do not know the first thing about conserving SP.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #12
Or knowing which spells to cast.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Nothing makes up for knowing the right spells to cast. I've never seen anything run out of magic in any Spiderweb game, but I've outlasted a few of Avernum's archers.

—Alorael, who expects scripted BoA behaviors to reult in at least a few intelligent casters. Even apprentice mages could be dangerous if they were smart enough to use decent spells.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #14
I always remain hopefull that a game I await has good AI.
Halo had good AI, I hope the new CS whatever has good AI.
EG: The NWN AI system disappointed me, it was no-where near deep enough for my satisfaction, I wanted more control, oh well.

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #15
I think the single best feature that an Scenario-Based RPG could have would be the ability to set which spells a monster has, thus making the caster able to avoid casting really idiotic(and very useless) spells.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #16
Or develop an AI system which in which individual AI's could be completely changed/improved (like AoE2, you can make your own AI).

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Lone Flame:

I think the single best feature that an Scenario-Based RPG could have would be the ability to set which spells a monster has, thus making the caster able to avoid casting really idiotic(and very useless) spells.
Jeff has said that we'll have this or something like it in BoA.

And in BoE, the only AI is shounen-ai.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Shounen-Ai? IMAGE(Spell points_files/confused.gif)

Anyway, the possibility to script the usage of spells by NPCs would be great. Like:

If HP < 1/2 full HP, cast Heal
Else, if not hasted, cast Haste
If Party is close, and you're a weak fighter, back up and Slow, or cast a field spell, or web.

Target the mages first, and preferably cast Antimagic around them.

If party uses Summoning, ignore the monsters and concentrate on the party.

If you could implement that, the party would get their behinds sorely kicked even by weak mages, let alone Haakai or other powerful casters... IMAGE(Spell points_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #19
The giants have inexhaustable stores of carved boulders, but all other ranged guys can, and often do, run out. I say "often do" because I am sometimes too lazy to hit the combat button and simply walk up to the guys and kill them with my 1st person, who is always my strongest melee character for just that reason. Anyway, there is generally a trail of arrows in the direction I came from, but only one or two in the place where the archer's body lies. Same with vahnatai, sliths, etc.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #20
I'm laughing for some reason, I'm sorry.

Could someone please clear up the part about the extent of the anything-related-to-AI changing features of BoA for me? I would appreciate it immensely, because I could start ideas-tasting.

[ Tuesday, July 15, 2003 15:39: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #21
For spellcasters, you can choose which spells they like to cast and which member of the party they target.

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #22
Hmmm...so you can't really change much...oh well.
I wish you could make conditions for casting.

[ Wednesday, July 16, 2003 04:34: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #23
Could that be done with scripts?

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #24
I don't know, I haven't used proper scripting in ages.

--------------------

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash

Pages