Where should I start designing?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Where should I start designing?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
In fact, one of TM's first posts is archived in the Lyceum's archive of the Solberg controversy. I found another early TM post at one point (it was HILARIOUS) but I can't seem to track it down now.

TM was a mod repeatedly, most notably on Misc, I think.

When the hell did TGM show up? If I had to guess, I'd say 2002, but I honestly can't tell. He has had too many accounts.

And Djur, pretty much everyone you mentioned is someone that I would put in the first category, as people who have been around forever. That's why I don't just think of people as "old" and "new."

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 10:56: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
I guess, then, that TM is the newest of oldbies, eh? :D

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #27
I was around since the beginning of Blades of Exile with people like Derin, JtP, Aceron, Akhronath, etc. Zaloopa actually joined after the community began, I remember his entry into the community with his failed mailing list.

The way I see it, we have the following ages:

Antiquity -- Anyone around at the beginning back in 1997.
The Aceron Age -- Anyone who participated on Aceron's message board would qualify for this.
The Lyceum Age -- Anyone who joined post-Aceron, but prior to the creation of Ikonboard.
The Ikonboard Age -- While Ikonboard was around.
The UBB Age -- Our current age.

Can someone put some dates on these?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #28
Off-topic, but sorta RE Kel's post about TMs first post

I think all those crappy designers who release one scenario should be encouraged to stick around. SM Adventurer said once on the Lyc that he had improved a lot on every scenario he had ever made. Well... look at Terror's Martyr.

His first scenario got a 1.67 on the CSR. His latest (for BoE) got a 9.23, and will be considered a must-play for noobs everywhere. I mean, roxxors yo.

This could happen for other designers... well... Zxquez sorta demolishes my argument... but he hasn't made twenty scenarios yet! He could still create a timeless classic! :P

EDIT: Also, after all this time I never expected my first topic to be so popular. :P

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 12:46: Message edited by: There is only love in my house ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
Drakey had a post about this somewhere (probably deleted by now). I think he said that Malkeera went up in 1997 and died in 2000. Then the Ikonboard went up in March '01. Then the UBB in September '01. Lyceum was something like '98-present. But don't quote me on that, because I don't really know.

And Rosycat, I couldn't agree more. As further proof:

Streila Spies: 1.67 -- bad
Unbalanced Accounts: 2.1 -- bad
Inn of Blades: 5.5 -- starting to show some promise
Echoes: 6.17 -- still showing promise, but eh
Echoes: Assault: 8.02 -- finally, on his fifth scenario (if we omit grich and ToM Utility) he actually produces something fairly solid

TM is a message of hope to newbies everywhere. Someday you, too, can create grand wonderful adventures, even if you struggle at first.

EDITS: For, like, stuf.

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 12:53: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 14
Profile #30
I arrived in late Aceron age, but I don't count since I've never really been a productive community member. :P

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
How'd I forget Brett and *i? I've been around since early 1998, so I'm newer than them by at least a few months.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #32
I arrived during the Ikonboard days. I joined the Lyceum around the time of the 4th contest. I came a bit later than TM and at almost exactly the same time as Khoth. I got BoE when Brotherhood of the Hand was the newest Solid Adventure.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Someday you, too, can create grand wonderful adventures, even if you struggle at first.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate for me. I just don't really have the computer time now to work on a scenario and I have a hard time finishing them as each town keeps getting better and I easily lose in some rather-ununique plots I've come up with (goblin tribe threating a town, yikes). But if I get going, I'm sure I could put out something at least a 3 or 4 class. :P

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 15:53: Message edited by: ben* ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #34
"Inn of Blades: 5.5 -- starting to show some promise"

IoB is massively overrated, even on CSR. :-p

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #35
Well, if I've read correctly, it was a good scenario back in the time it was made, back in the time when scenario designers weren't near as skilled as they are now. So back then its rating was higher still. But I do agree, compared to the outstanding scenarios in existance now, IoB would not be ranked among them. TM needs to stay with BoE, in my opinion. :D (Of course, he will most probably me part of the great BoA migration, but at his improvement rate, he could put out a very fine product).

Not that you already haven't, TM, but a designer can always get better.

--------------------
-ben4808
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #36
IoB is hardly ancient. That would be a somewhat more accurate statement if the scenario were about three years older.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #37
And TM is leading the BoA migration. He released the first and fourth scenarios for BoA.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #38
I joined in 2001, around when Djur did? There are some things wrong with that:

I'm borderline between antiquity and Inside the Web. Djur joined somewhere in 2000.

Aceron left either in late 1999 or early 2000, and Brett took over his BoE board. ITW went down in September 2000, spidweb came up in March 2001 and switched to UBB October 2001.

I'd put the oldbie dividing line at 2001 too - just so it includes Saunders, Khoth, and Arctic.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #39
IoB? Funny, that was the scenario TM smited me for ranking really low, saying I was a newbie stomping all over his scenarios. Heh.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #40
I joined the ikonboards mid-late 2001. However I remember that I used to lurk on the boards as guest around the time TM was doing the whole vengeful god thing with his horus avatar.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I joined in 2001, around when Djur did? There are some things wrong with that:

I'm borderline between antiquity and Inside the Web. Djur joined somewhere in 2000.

Aceron left either in late 1999 or early 2000, and Brett took over his BoE board. ITW went down in September 2000, spidweb came up in March 2001 and switched to UBB October 2001.

I'd put the oldbie dividing line at 2001 too - just so it includes Saunders, Khoth, and Arctic.

Well, I remember Lamentations as coming out just days after I showed up at the ITW Lyceum.
6/22/00 - Added Lamentations page and scenario. Changed the poll.
Thus spake Alcritas. So I've been around for... dear God. Four years.
I joined the SW boards in order to post in TM's Inn of Blades signup topic. I don't remember when that was, but I didn't really heavily involve myself for a while.
Desperance started in August 2001; soon after SW switched to UBB and, uh, either Scorp or TM got demodded, the Desp Boards started upon pressure from those worthies to provide a less regimented alternative to the SW boards.
Anyway, I'm still a newbie. Thuryl is at least three or four years older in the community than I.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
With regard to the both of you, Drakey and Djur, I said that you joined sometime before 2001, which I'm pretty sure is accurate, not around the same time as each other in 2001, which is not.

Come to think of it, Drakey, I don't know when you joined the community, because you've always been really vague about it. My impression was that it was more recently than '97 and significantly earlier than '01, but I've just been guessing.

EDIT: And I know you've been playing the games since '94, but that's not the same. I've been playing the games since '99, but I didn't join the community until '04.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 06:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 14
Profile #43
Based on what I know of him, I'm going to guess that Drakey joined about 1998.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #44
I think I saw his first post, about potentially making the Divine Comedy as a Blades scenario. Dated from early 1999, I think. I post-date Djur and TM by a few months.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: Never Proved to Be a Contributory Factor to Stomach Cancer
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #45
That wasn't my first post - I joined sometime in 1998, around the middle of the second season of the Arena. I sat out the third and entered in the fourth.

My first post was on the scenario board in ... March/April 1998 about ... Rubacus? I remember when Leon Lin was a board regular and would answer people's questions.

My favorite oldbie who's no longer around would have to be Caligula.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #46
Hmmmm...come to think of it now, would you say that I'm the newest member of the board that posts regularly (say ~5 posts per day when I'm here. No, I usual manage about 10, but I'll set 5 as the line between regular poster or not)? I might also be the only one over member number 4500 with at least 250 posts. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #47
I joined in time for... the sixth or seventh Arena season. Aceron age here, I guess.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
I'd set 2 a day to be the border between active members and rarely-posting members. Anyone significantly above 5-6 is a spammer or a noob (or both).

It's the quality, not the quantity. The latter only costs Jeff diskspace and us hours of valuable time backing up stuff when he has to clean out the trash again.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #49
And then there's me, who posts 2 times a week and it's all useless crap. ^_^

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

Pages