open source help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: open source help
Apprentice
Member # 13382
Profile Homepage #0
OK. I am very new to this :P ...wanted to know what BoE looked like, and was curious about other things as well. The thing is, how do i open it :confused: ??? i have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition, with Windows (XP), and, quite frankly, have no clue as to how to open/edit/run it. I have opened the *.cpp and the *.h files, but don't know what to do from there. Please help!

[ Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:12: Message edited by: Zopiac ]

--------------------
~Zopiac Keylink
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #1
In order to create BoE from the source code, you need to compile the game. To compile the game, you need a project with the source files inside it and also a compiler. I'm not sure how to move the files into your project using MC C++, though. But once the files are in your project, your compiler (MC C++) should give you an option somewhere to compile the program. Then, most likely, you'll get a bunch of error messages. Solve them if you can; when you're done, the game should finally compile.

However, if you just want to read the code, what you already have is what you get. There's nothing simpler, as far as I know.

--------------------
It's just trying to say hi!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #2
I used MSVC6 in high school – I believe there is a menuitem to add files to an existing project.
Apprentice
Member # 13382
Profile Homepage #3
[UPDATE]OK so i now have Dev C++ as well...i can figure out how to open it in that, but it says that one of the cursors is missing when i go to compile it.

--------------------
~Zopiac Keylink
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #4
If a cursor is missing, my guess is that the code names a cursor to be used by the game, but isn't in the folder when it needs to be compiled. You should have cursors named "BOOT" "C" "D" "DL" "DR" "KEY" "L" "R" "SWORD" "TALK" "TARGET" "U" "UL" and "UR" already, I think. Which one does the compiler name as missing or needed?

Also, approximately how many errors are you getting when you try to compile the program? And where did you get your source code?

--------------------
It's just trying to say hi!
Apprentice
Member # 13382
Profile Homepage #5
OK. Here is where i got the source code, and i put it onto my desktop, and then moved all of my desktop otems into my documents; C:\Documents and Settings...My Documents\Desktop\(Blades of Exile Source Code\blades of Exile.dev, UL.cur, etc.)).

When i go to Execute>Compile in DevC++, it starts to compile, and then says in the compiler box down below:

Invalid Argument

[Resource error] can't open cursor file `../
blades/ul.cur': No such file or directory

C:\Documents and Settings\Zopiac Keylink\My
Documents\Desktop\Blades of Exile Source
Code\Makefile.win [Build
Error] [Blades_of_Exile_private.res] Error 1

thats it.

[ Wednesday, January 23, 2008 14:21: Message edited by: Zopiac ]

--------------------
~Zopiac Keylink
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #6
Is there a file anywhere in the distribution called "ul.cur"? If not, I suppose you could copy an existing .cur file and rename it. It's not a fix really, but at least it will allow the game to run (I assume).

If there is such a file, make sure it is in the place where the game is looking for it, ie "../blades/ul.cur". Translation: start from the working directory, go up one level, open the folder "blades", and that's where the cursor should be.

Speaking of the working directory, where is the executable file? (the .exe)

[ Thursday, January 24, 2008 07:49: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]