Location Specials

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Location Specials
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
It turns out the run_special function passes a location of the special being called (special location, item user location, monster that triggered special location) as one of its arguments. I've noticed that in a few places, the engine simply passes a null location (0,0), but really this field is not used.

I'm wondering if we should make use of this feature, and what the best way to be to use it would be. I've come up with a few options:

1) A new node that puts the x and y coordinates into two different flags which can be referenced with a pointer. Somewhat cumbersome but highly flexible.
2) Reserved "pointers", say -10 and -11 that when the field has this value, it replaces it with the x and y coordinates respectively.
3) Node specific defaults. Whereever a location is requested, -1,-1 will be replaced by the appropriate location of the special.

What are people's thoughts on this matter?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #1
I resurrected this three-month old thread because I felt it was a good idea that had gone unnoticed. Does anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

I think I like option 3 best, but option 2 would be my second choice.