Monsters Calling Specials

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Monsters Calling Specials
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
I have been playing around, and I have figured out how to give the ability of a monster type to call a scenario special node during its combat turn. This works sort of like START_STATE in BoA. I put it in the same place as radiating fields and summoning monsters.

This modification is to combat.c

I need to add more nodes to facilite better handling of this, but it should improve what people can do with their monster types. Comments?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 8990
Profile #1
So monsters can finally use "Special Spells" at their own will? Sounds interesting... maybe this could be done with Town Nodes as well?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
It's possible, albeit more difficult to implement as it is on a "monster type" level, not an individual monster level. I was going to call town, but then because monster types can be spread across multiple towns (outdoor combat?), it could yield some very weird results if the designer is not very careful.

I would like to make this on the individual monster level, but the source code is set in such a way to make this somewhat difficult. An additional concern is that the BoE Editor code/resource will need to be modified to put an additional field or something of the sort. This specific menu is also quite "full" and requires manipulation of resources that I'm not sure how to do yet.

So while I can look into it, I think there are other more immediate things that I can implement in the short term.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 8990
Profile #3
Well, I thought about the outdoor battles as well, but most bigger/more important battles happen in towns, due to the many more possibilities there...

So the outdoor node calling would be less important, except for outdoor scenarios of course...
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
The monster record is a global/scenario wide thing. I feel it appropriate, as a matter of consistency, to make the calls associated with it be global as well. While there is no reason town nodes cannot be accessible, it feels inconsistent from a structural level to do so.

If we want town based calls, the correct way to do this is to edit the individual monster menu, specifically the advanced calls. Again, this comes down to editing resources. If you or anyone else can figure this out, I'd be willing to code it up in a heartbeat.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #5
Update: The special queue is in place such that if a monster is killed during a special (or a special is called during a special loop for any other means) it will not error and call the specials normally.

--------------------