Bush and Kerry to be wed on Brokeback

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bush and Kerry to be wed on Brokeback
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #0
Has the world gone upside down? Do cats and dogs now live together?

No, something even more strange has happened. I tried out BoE for the 5th time, and I kinda liked it....

I have bashed this game for fun and no profit for years, and now I kind of like it!

So BoEers, I need recommendations on a couple of custom scenarios suitable for my beginner talent (read, no silly hard combat) that tells a fun story. Size matters, to an extent.

Z

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 13:36: Message edited by: Zorro ]

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Go here, read reviews of some of the top scenarios, and pick the one that sounds best to you. Some have difficult combat, but you'll learn fast.

If you want a large scenario, I would suggest Spears or The Adventurer's Club.

--------------------
-ben4808
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Emulations, Roots, and Apology are easily the best 3 of the scenarios I've played (Although Roots has crazy hard combat.) Outside of those, I'd also recommend Drizzt's trilogy.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
Everyone will tell you something different, no doubt. I'll suggest Nephil's Gambit, which has by far the most interesting and believable story of any scenario I've ever seen. The story is well-delivered, and the gameplay and writing are both solid, full of wonderful details.

Also, it's one of exactly two scenarios I've seen (and the only one for BoE) that build on the world of Exile in a way that makes any sense whatsoever. I can't recommend it enough.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
Adventurer's Club is pretty good for a beginner scenario, assuming you don't mind a very big scenario with a large amount of (not terribly difficult) combat and occasionally getting stuck for a while.

Nephil's Gambit is also good, with an excellent storyline (one of the best, I think), the combat isn't too hard, and it's big without being as massive as Adventurer's Club. However, you WILL need to consult the walkthrough at one point.

I tend to think Nightfall is a really good scenario to start with. The combat's easy, there's a lot of humour, and since there's three ways through, if you get stuck going one way, you can backtrack and try another.

quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

Emulations, Roots, and Apology are easily the best 3 of the scenarios I've played (Although Roots has crazy hard combat.) Outside of those, I'd also recommend Drizzt's trilogy.
Apology isn't a walk in the park, either. Emulations isn't too hard, though perhaps it would be better to play the other scenarios in Stareye's series first (even though the links are pretty loose).

Drizzt's trilogy (The Forsaken, Brotherhood Of The Hand, Shadow Of The Stranger) are very good scenarios, becoming increasingly so with each installment. Brotherhood and Shadow are a bit tricky in places, but after Forsaken you should be okay. One point - the readme doesn't specify this, but the plot of Brotherhood makes a lot more sense if you play as a human singleton, and all the scenarios make more sense if you use different parties for each.

I wish I could recommend one of my own scenarios, but they're all crazy-hard. :(

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 15:09: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #5
Simple, good quality, beginner scenarios.

Back to Normal
Odessa's Journey
Dirty Gold
The Final Spire
The Future
The Foolish Giant
Justice
The Magnificent Six

At least, some of the ones that I've played and liked.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 17:52: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Truffle Days is just a good, solid scenario set in Exile. I'm not even sure why I like it so much, but I do.

—Alorael, who also recommends Tatterdemalion both as an interesting exercise in combining three scenarios in one file and as a good scenario (or three).
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #7
There's been a goodly number of Scenarios named and they're all good, solid stories.
I'd add "Quest for the Crown" as a simple, but enjoyable story for the biginner, but by far I think Tatterdemalion would be my strong recommendation.
Although it doesn't rank as most people's 'favorite', it is written with an introduction that gives you the choice to complete the story as Fighters, Priests, or Mages.
This makes this Scenario, IMNSHO, my favorite recommendation for any Beginning Player. There are variations to each version that keep your attention, but the bottom line is that it will give the Beginning Player an opportunity to try each form of Party. A good experience for future playing. If, however, you are an experienced Player, this Scenario may not be 'deep' enough for you. In which case, all the above will satisfy a need to 'learn' BoE games.
P.S.: There just happens to be a detailed 'Walk Through' at Jewels' Web Site, "TrueSite for Blades".

[ Sunday, November 05, 2006 04:06: Message edited by: Ahbleza ]
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #8
"Chains" is very good and has almost no combat whatsoever.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
My favorite BoE scenario is the best one ever, Doom Moon II.

It meets precisely zero of your criteria - the story is there, if spotty, but it's all about silly hard combat.

[ Sunday, November 05, 2006 18:33: Message edited by: Imban ]