Scenario Processing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Scenario Processing
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

The hardest part for me, was the alpha-testing.
Alpha-testing only sucks if your scenario does.

(In all actuality, I agree with Thralni that alpha-testing can be incredibly difficult if you have complex bits of coding to do. I usually alpha-test these bits in particular immediately after I've made them to avoid incredible pains down the road.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #26
By TM:
quote:
(In all actuality, I agree with Thralni that alpha-testing can be incredibly difficult if you have complex bits of coding to do. I usually alpha-test these bits in particular immediately after I've made them to avoid incredible pains down the road.)
I agree. Incremental testing is the name of the game. It cannot be stressed enough, for anything computer related.

As for the question: I'm no expert, but I'd say the 'smaller' details such as dialog are the 'hardest', and most important. It's annoying to seemingly waste time on pidly details, but the dialog and other messages to the player are the most important for establishing the scenario's plot and atmosphere.

(This is what I am repeating to myself as I write state after state after state...)

EDIT: Apparently, HTML has only been enabled in the BoA forum. Back to 20 dashes...

--------------------
But I'm betting your presence will negate rational thought within a 20-foot radius anyway.
- Roy (OotS)

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 09:06: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #27
Not that I'm an ultra-experienced designer, but I like designing dialouge. Whenever I get bored by a particularly tedious bit of code or town design I write some colorful dialogue.

It's like writing a really, really short story. I come up with interesting pasts and present them. When I can't think of any stories, I use humor. I had a terrificly sarcastic bartender in a truly horrible scenario called The Arena, and a magnificently insane person named Mad Ned in a version of the scenario I'm working on now that I ditched. Oh well.

And yes, incremental alpha testing is vital. Otherwise I would be depressed to the point of giving up by the sheer volume of fatal bugs :) .

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Apprentice
Member # 7084
Profile Homepage #28
I find the start the easiest as ideas are flowing through your head like water in a fire hydrant. I think the middle is hardest as you begin to loose faith that it will be good and you'll complete it. Once you get past that barrier, you feel invincible!

--------------------
Real boyz kiss boyz

Pages