Weapon Making

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Weapon Making
Warrior
Member # 3530
Profile #0
How come in some scenarios people make weapons with 125 damage, 99 bonus, and 125 defense??? Thats crazy, I can only make it to the maximum it says, 50 damage, 60 bonus, and 20 defense. How can I do that???
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
They're either using a modified editor or hex-editing the scenario files. Both methods are impermissible for discussion here, however, so if you wish to inquire further into this, please do it on another board.
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #2
I always fail to see why people need to inflate both monster HP and weapon damage. If you have a sword that does 6HP and your fighting a Goblin with 6HP, is that really any different than a sword that does 100HP fighting a monster with 100HP?

Creating godlike weapons throws most scenarios out of balance, no matter what RPG system you use.

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3530
Profile #3
oh sorry, i just thought it there was a way in the game. I just prefer the Steel Halberd with the upgrades.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Silent Motion:

I always fail to see why people need to inflate both monster HP and weapon damage. If you have a sword that does 6HP and your fighting a Goblin with 6HP, is that really any different than a sword that does 100HP fighting a monster with 100HP?

Creating godlike weapons throws most scenarios out of balance, no matter what RPG system you use.

That's the problem; it's an arms race. To prevent other designers' weapons unbalancing his scenario, a designer has to make his weapons at least as powerful as theirs, and ramp up the monsters to match. The fundamental problem with this is that it ends up making warriors too powerful relative to spellcasters (although once the weapons get powerful enough, even spellcasters hit all the time and do as much damage in melee as warriors anyway).

Or just forget about balancing your scenario relative to other people's and provide a premade party. Much simpler.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Or make them enter with a level one party.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3122
Profile #6
That works.

--------------------
It slices, it dices, and yes, makes french fries in 2,089 different ways!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
Well pardon me asking, but is there actually a way to "force" a player to enter your scenario with a level 1 party, or do you just set the difficulty on beginner and recommend it?

Probably a stupid question, but...

--------------------
-ben4808
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by ben2:

Well pardon me asking, but is there actually a way to "force" a player to enter your scenario with a level 1 party, or do you just set the difficulty on beginner and recommend it?
You can't force a level-1 party, but you CAN force a low-level party (and An Apology does). Basically you have to find a way to exploit the fact that BoE monster HP automatically increases to two or more times its original value if the player uses a higher-level party than the expected level for the scenario.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
Warning: This rule does not apply to 1PC parties.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
However, there are also ways to block 1PC parties. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.