Town Layout

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Town Layout
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #0
I am having a little trouble designing towns. When I design them, just about everything is symmetrical. Everything is even. That kind of bothers me. I can't really make interesting town layouts. Does anyone have any advice on town building? It also takes a lot of time... does anyone have advice for this?

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Towns are built from the centre out. Plan yours the same way. Stick important buildings like the town hall and general store right in the middle of the town, and then make other buildings around them.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
Not a lot of towns I know about in the real world grow from the center out. Usually they grow wherever it is convenient. For instance, they may start on a lake or river and then move further away from that. If there is nice flat land in one area, it makes sense to expand there and not a place with hills and rocks and such.

The advice I give is to make it sensical. If it's a small village, the buildings should be scattered. Cities should have business centers somewhere and then residential areas elsewhere without looking too "planned". Something like a fort or a castle should probably have a much more planned and sensible layout.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
There's usually a main avenue. Important buildings (Inns, Government functions, Marketplaces, Schools, etc.) happen there. Other things (out-of-house sages, homes, barbershops, etc.) take place along smaller, meandering roads.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #4
Don't design your towns like Alcritas… :P You won't find anything.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #5
Think about why the town is where it is, towns usally start for one or more of the following reasons: Defensive position; Route center; Near-ness to resources. This will affect how the town is planned as well as other stuff.

[ Tuesday, November 30, 2004 07:03: Message edited by: Brenitt-Ihrno ]

--------------------
formally Brenitt-Ihrno

I'm a very irregular poster, don't mind me.

Join me, people

NFC FOREVER!!!
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #6
Go online and look at some maps of real towns. THat could give you some ideas.

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00