The Scenario Ranking Contest Has Begun!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Scenario Ranking Contest Has Begun!
BoE Posse
Member # 51
Profile Homepage #0
Learn more at The Second Scenario Ranking Contest!

--------------------
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

The Lyceum
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
I would like to, but I'm not allowed to play most scenarios, so...I'd be out the first day. :P

Anyway, good luck to all the participants. :)

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 13:01: Message edited by: ben4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #2
Not allowed to play most scenarios? Why not?

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
Well, if he doesn't have the registered version...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Also possibly because many scenarios are "rated R."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
If you don't already know, I'm 14, so I'm pretty much still under the control of my parents. So, my Mom says I can play Exile as long as I stay away from all magic, demons, or (for no logical reason to my knowledge) goblins.

So I'm pretty much restricted to working with no-magic scenarios on the scenario editor and playing them. I don't know of a *good* scenario that I could play like this.

Also, as you might have guessed, I have to use an all-fighter party, hence my last topic.

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #6
Are you serious?

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #7
Your parents commit the sin of Onan.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 17:00: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
The sin of Onan?

:confused: :confused:

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
Ow. The irony.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #10
You poor guy. Let's see, scenarios with no magic, demons or goblins... if scenarios that have spellcasting monsters are counted, then there aren't many that fit in that category. The Election is one, and Johnny Favourite is another (though that last one would be going by the letter and not the spirit, so to speak).

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #11
quote:
If you don't already know, I'm 14, so I'm pretty much still under the control of my parents. So, my Mom says I can play Exile as long as I stay away from all magic, demons, or (for no logical reason to my knowledge) goblins.

You have my deepest sympathy. My only restriction is to stay away from scenarios rated 'R' and 'Adult'.

EDIT: Was your mom joking? I mean, if she tells you to stay away from magic, demons, and goblins, she's pretty much telling you to stay away from the computer game.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 04:02: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #12
I'm going to make a scenario just for you, ben.

Man, that's harsh!

I do think the fact that you can play Johnny Favourite is hilarious, though.

I'm thirteen and I'm not under the control of my parents at all. Probly cuz they're lefty hippies who don't believe in strict child control. :P

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 04:05: Message edited by: Oh look ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #13
I voluntarily stayed away from 'R' rated scenarios for a long time. It may have had something to do with the fact that in Australia the 'R' rating is equivalent to America's NC-17. But once I'd played all the good PGs I tried a few out.

They aren't that bad, really. Well, some of them are - Johnny Favourite of course being right at the top of the pile. I left that one alone for years, but curiosity got the better of me. I regretted it. But the majority are much safer than that scary 'R' rating would make them seem. There's no PG-13 option, so it covers pretty much everything more extreme than Shrek. Alas, there's no certain way to tell till after you've played them.

Spears, as an example, is rated R but contains nothing worse than a custom graphic of a slith that's fallen on a sharp rock. And if you side with the Undine you won't see that at all.

Add to that the fact that the ratings are chosen by the designers - who, of course, have vastly different standards. Generally, an 'R' rated scenario by Stareye is safer than a 'PG' rated scenario by Terror's Martyr.

As for scenarios with magic and demons, I'd ask if your parents object to you reading the Bible? It's got witchcraft and demons and sex and lots of violence - some of it quite graphic.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 04:40: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Magic, Demons and Goblins... I sense a victim of fundamentalism... Didn't Omlette say he has trouble with his parents about these games for the same reason?

Oh, and by the way, would Priest spells count as magic? On second thought, they probably would. Heathen sects and all that.

-----

HEY! We could make another competition from this. Sort of like 'Don't Fix the Shark', only with restrictions regarding content! Like vegetarian meals for certain religious groups.
A scenario without intelligent non-humans. Or without swords or any weapons. Without any religious cults.

One that caters to the rules of Born-again Christions. Or Mormons. Or conservative Jews. Or Atheists. Or... the possibilities are endless. :)

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 04:35: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #15
Actually, thinking about it, your parents wouldn't like Shrek either - it has magic (this is a fair comparison - Blades magic is equally unrelated to actual witchcraft as fairy-story magic).

I'm a strong Christian, myself. I appreciate the concerns parents can have about the material that their children are exposed to. But I don't believe the 'magic' in Blades carries any moral implications - no more than 'the Force' in Star Wars or the Evil Witch Queen in Snow White.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #16
How exactly do they enforce this, anyway?

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by ben4808:

So I'm pretty much restricted to working with no-magic scenarios on the scenario editor and playing them. I don't know of a *good* scenario that I could play like this.

Also, as you might have guessed, I have to use an all-fighter party, hence my last topic.

Just some question:

1. It's okay to use fighter, as they only use their swords to cut to pieces their enemies?
2. There can't be any demons and globlins, but it's okay to kill other humans?
3. Why do they let you play a game where, sooner or later, you'll have to use violence (combat) and killing?
4. Or were you just joking with us? :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
Sorry for the lateness of this post. I have to work until 3:30 on weekdays to make money for college, a car, an apartment, etc. And a new computer, which I should have less restrictions on. I'll answer your questions:

quote:
Was your mom joking?
No, unfortunately.

quote:
I'm going to make a scenario just for you, ben.

Thanks, if you find the time. ;)

quote:
As for scenarios with magic and demons, I'd ask if your parents object to you reading the Bible? It's got witchcraft and demons and sex and lots of violence - some of it quite graphic.
According to her, the Bible talks about these things being evil. She says it's when you play with these things that makes them bad.

quote:
HEY! We could make another competition from this. Sort of like 'Don't Fix the Shark', only with restrictions regarding content!
See the topic "New scenario idea" to see the interest that generated. :cool:

quote:
How exactly do they enforce this, anyway?
If she catches me using magic, etc., she'd probably make me get rid of the game entirely.

--------------------
-ben4808
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
So would evil monsters using magic be okay, as long as good characters don't use it? Because that would open up a whole lot more possibilities, I think.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
And now for Overwhelming's questions and some final remarks:

quote:
1. It's okay to use fighter, as they only use their swords to cut to pieces their enemies?
2. There can't be any demons and globlins, but it's okay to kill other humans?
3. Why do they let you play a game where, sooner or later, you'll have to use violence (combat) and killing?
4. Or were you just joking with us?

1. She says violence is okay--it's part of life.
2. ...Ummm, I haven't really figured this out, either. I guess see #1.
3. Same reason as last two.
4. Read last post.

So far, it is okay for me to use alchemy and play scenarios whithout magical monsters as long as they don't cast anything. (so I can't fight them really)

She recently said my little brother could use "Scry Monster" since it does really do anything bad except for provide monster information. Personally, though, I would consider it a waste of skill points for just that one spell.

My dad, on the other hand, seems to not have much against Exile, in fact, when mom said she would leave this up to his decision, he let us do magic and stuff, and I beat the demo of E3. :) But now, :rolleyes: .

Any more question, or have I cleared this up well enough?

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #21
Keep in mind that in Exile, you don't HAVE to cast magic, and you actually go out and beat up people who DO cast magic. If your family is considerably fundamentalist, then just use the priest spells- invoking the power of God to destroy demons is something she should have no problems with.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #22
What about Light? And healing spells?

Or do they count as impersonating the divine or something?

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 14:56: Message edited by: Oh look ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
Torches etc.

EDIT: Er, I was trying to say that such spells are unnecessary.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 14:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #24
I'm more interested in whether she allows them, and if no, why not. If yes, that means I can use them in my scenario :P

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame

Pages