Favourite Part of Nethergate

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Favourite Part of Nethergate
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
What's you favourite part of Nethergate?

My personal favourite is the fact that you can choose between celts and romans, as well as each having different traits and abilities. I wish that the differences in BoA were like that. If each RACE had it's own abilities, like divinely touched, etc., it would be so much better and challenging!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Is this the favorite aspect of Nethergate's engine? Because I would have to say iso-3D, in that case (because of course Nethergate was the first SW game to pioneer the look that JV has used for the Avernum Trilogy and basically for the Geneforge series, too). Heights are pretty nifty, and everything just looks nicer.

As far as plot or whatever, I liked the land of the dead. I just loved that area, exploring and fighting and collecting 100+ skill points all at once.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
The stat system. I dug the way linking weapon skills to HP and magic skills to SP made it at least a little useful to build up every stat (well, except maybe Endurance).

As for plot elements, definitely finding the crones' little black book as Romans.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
The stat system, definitely. Nether spells are also fun, although few of them were worth the effort or the spell points.

—Alorael, who has to admit that he really enjoys playing the plot from two points of view. It would be even better if he didn't find the Romans painfully difficult to play as.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #4
The spell circles were a nice touch- it's good to see a deviation from the standard mage/priest or 5 elements-based systems.

Blessing pools were a nice (albeit minor) touch, as were the Sylak items.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
The parallel paths followed by the Roman and Celtic plots was beautifully engineered, and remains the most memorable element of Nethergate in my mind. This was best handled in the Faerie castle, where Roman and Celtic parties were recruited by opposing sides, for missions of, respectively, assassination and revenge.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.