food

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: food
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #0
I remember playing Exile for the first time and hating it because I couldn't figuire out why I kept dying not realizing how food works. Once I finnally did realize what was wrong and started to love the game everyone I showed it too had the exact same problem and hated it until I realized why they were hating it and fixed their problems.

I find this to be somewhat problematic.

--------------------
When I close my eyes at night I see David Bowie.

PLAY AVERNUM 1!!!!!!!!!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Food is explained in the instructions. Food is explained as the cause of spontaneous damage. Food can be given by the editor. Yes, it's a common newbie mistake, but it's also one that can be figured out.

—Alorael, who very much doubts that any changes to Exile will be forthcoming. The series is no longer being updated.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #2
I find people's incapability to comprehend instructions problematic. Manuals are placed for a reason.

There's always the manna spell when desperate.

[ Monday, January 07, 2008 19:40: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
I believe the Manna spells didn't appear until Exile II, and even then you don't start out with them. That said, the beginning of E2 has more direction and more supplies than E1.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7633
Profile #4
The opening of E1 was pretty unforgiving, as far as food goes. You got a little food in Fort Exile, but there wasn't a food store in town, and no obvious clues (besides the manual's hints section) as to where more might be found.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #5
Aside from the other 'givens', (Fighters need Weapons and Spell Casters need Spells), I feel that food is also a 'given'.
I don't rely on potions and things, but rather rest when needed to Heal and recoup Spell Points.
Also, I try to rest outside, rather than inside. I don't know the numbers, but am sure you get a better return on investment outdoors.
Lastly, my style is slow and tedious, ('m only a mediocre player and a searcher) rather than rushing through a Scenario.
me
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

There's always the manna spell when desperate.
That's how all my PCs survive, since I'm too cheap to buy food.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Apprentice
Member # 12891
Profile #7
I rarely had problems with food before, but I noticed a suggestion on another threat to create a 4-person party. I've got of food just from monsters and thieving and dungeons. It's pretty cool.

--------------------
Dry Ice. Updated 5x a week for your icy amusement.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #8
I remember the good old days of Exile 1 when I was running around in Silvar without any food. The starving damage sound scared the bajebuzes out of me.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 6801
Profile #9
Food was a problem at the beginning of Exile 1 and 3 because it was not so cheap and you had few money to spend on it.
In Exile 2 it quickly wasn't much of a problem.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #10
Just buy the Manna and Minor Manna spells and cast them every so often, and you'll be fine. You get a much better return on your money by getting food this way.
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

I remember the good old days of Exile 1 when I was running around in Silvar without any food. The starving damage sound scared the bajebuzes out of me.
Same here; I almost jumped out of my chair when I first heard it.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #11
I was actually more frightened by squeaking doors and "Rar" in a long dungeon. That is, when I wasn't supposed to be staying up that late.

[ Friday, February 22, 2008 17:10: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Warrior
Member # 6801
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I was actually more frightened by squeaking doors and "Rar" in a long dungeon. That is, when I wasn't supposed to be staying up that late.
Hummm .... the sound of squeaking doors in Exile 2 nephil fort, when I was resting trying to regain some SP. More than ten years ago now....