Small fanfic.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Small fanfic.
Apprentice
Member # 5660
Profile #0
It's titled *Preperation* and it's only part 1. (I think there will be three parts) I slapped this together in the space of an hour or so. Please, tell me what you thought of it.

Qufar fingered his blade as the oars creaked, as the stink of leather and sweat mingled with the grunts of the rowers as the little dinghy rocked out of the harbor of Silvar. As captain of the vessel, well, of the war party really, but that gave him temporary command of the little boat, he was allowed respite from the rowing, and since the men required little direction, allowed his thoughts to wander freely, to the past.

The iron of his blade, a broad slashing sword almost four feet in length. Qufar had been in Exile long enough to value good iron, value any metal that could be beaten into some sort of usefulness. He earned that blade, and the captaincy that entitled him to it, on the last attack on this damned island. Then, the sliths held it, and, like now, their feared leader had recently been slain, and the army was once again exploiting the holes that random adventurers had created. Dolthar, I think that’s what they call the fort now. Even crippled with what the advens did and with the greys helping, well still pay the butcher everything he wants to dig the empire out of that hole.

But it had to be done. Micah wanted full control over the sea routes, or what passed for them down here, so they could outflank the Front. If they could cut off the supply route there, they’d cut off almost five thousand of the Empire’s best. The war would effectively be over. And to do that, we need to burn out this fort. Occupy it this time, hopefully, instead of just cleaning it out.

Another creak, and Qufar dimly saw the stucco walls and shimmering barriers that was Fort Dranlon. No boats joined their squadron. Even with the swing that the greys gave them, and the limited offensives that had been brewing recently, Fort Dranlon’s position was still precarious, with Cotra gone to the eyebeasts and gazers. The boat turned left, and Qufar vaguely noticed the rowers changing shifts. They were almost halfway there.

Qufar clomped don the little boat, seeking out a small thin man, wrapped in a light green robe. The gentle rushing of the water, and the grunts and sweating of the rowers, somehow demanded in Qufar’s mind that he speak quietly. “Farl. How are you holding up? Will you be able to crack the barriers when we get there?” The said adventurers provided a bit of information on the new layout. Qufar knew the island, but not the edifice. Their tentative plan of attack called for one group to land on the west of the fortress, skirt around south, and go through some sort of hidden passage to the docks. It would likely be trapped and blocked to the teeth, so they needed someone who could get themselves in.

“I’ll be ready by the time we land, and besides, even if I’m not, that, eh, whatsit, Takathi-no, or whatever it’s called, ought to be able to do it. That is, if they show. I know they’re supposed to be friends and all, but those grey guys are weird, if you catch my drift. And those red things they sent up.” Farl shivered. “I don’t get it, why don’t they just seal up the fort in one of those things again? They basically stopped the entire war for a few weeks, just like that.”

“Farl, you’re the mage. You probably know better than I do that making something like that had to be impossibly difficult and exhausting. Besides, they’re our allies, and made no show of bad faith yet. They’ll be there.” Qufar’s tone darkened. “They’d better be.”

“Whose in charge anyway boss? Overall I mean. This has got to be the biggest operation outside the Front defenses that we’ve done the entire war.”

Qufar’s pale expression grew smug. “Can’t tell you that. You don’t have the clearance.”

“Stuff it. You might have magi clearance, but you wouldn’t understand half of it if you didn’t have me to translate for you.”

“Word is, Landren’s going to be leading this one personally.”

“Well I’ll be damned. This is important. I guess he’ll be at the north assault then.”

“Quiet Farl. That’s going too far, even for you. We have our orders and we’re sticking to them.”

Qufar went back to the prow of the boat. Two hours later, they beached, the commander not having moved an inch from his spot. It was almost certain that someone in the fort had seen them, but no challenge came from inside the walls. They disembarked, and started looking for the rest of the landing parties. Qufar could see the walls, gleaming in a structure burrowed out of a monolith in these caves, as his memories once again drifted, to an assault made long ago.....
Please post questions, comments, and whether you want to see the next parts.

--------------------
"Violence never solved anything except ending slavery, fascism and communism."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
For one thing, it's spelled "preparation".

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
Ha, I've used the name Farl (and other variations) for my Nephilim characters many times.

Good job so far. Here's your next challenge: Register BoE or BoA and turn your story into a scenario.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

"Rain drops keep fallin' on my head, but that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red. Crying's not for me, no, cuz' I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining."