Vahnatai Lexicon

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Vahnatai Lexicon
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #0
I had a printout of some stuff on the vahnatai language. Can anyone tell me where I can pull this off of?

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
http://encyclopedia.ermarian.net/index.php/Novah

Is that what you want?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #2
Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #3
I think there's something like that in Drakefyre's Demesne.

EDIT: Yeah, there is. Check Vahnatai Week.

[ Sunday, April 30, 2006 04:30: Message edited by: Toenail and Matisyahu ]

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #4
I was looking for a particular one that Thuryl gave the adress to.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
It's the same one. The Encyclopedia Ermariana just has a little bit of pretty wikification.

—Alorael, who demands citation and not original research.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #6
So it's probably different to the Novah lexicon I saw a few years ago. Is there an orignal version floating around or is it Drakey's Demesne?

EDIT:Just out of curiosity.

[ Friday, May 26, 2006 01:52: Message edited by: Cairo Jim ]

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
It's basically the same - the one on my website is older but there are very few changes.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
I think the only addition is some conjecture on sentence building, as well as a sample sentence. The other stuff is all Drakey's (though I think he worked with another Blades designer whose name I forgot; this may date back to the 90's).

Assuming you believe in it (the vocabulary is, after all, fan-lore), it's useful for analyzing certain Vahnatai names from the series. Which served as the basis for the conjecture though, so it's not particularly informative. You will find that "Glantris" does not mean "Fountain of Sapphires" because tris means sapphire and glan means fountain, but that glan means fountain and tris sapphire because "Glantris" was chosen to translate to "Fountain of Sapphires". :P

As far as making up Vahnatai speech (whole sentences) for a scenario, you'll find you're mostly on your own. Rather than rely on the players' ability to translate, it is advisable to indicate what you meant to say. It just wouldn't do for a player to have to look up "s'daah mat sis'pil'ghel" and conclude that their Vahnatai companion called their mother a big hippo. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Henry Anthony Wilcox:

I think the only addition is some conjecture on sentence building, as well as a sample sentence. The other stuff is all Drakey's (though I think he worked with another Blades designer whose name I forgot; this may date back to the 90's).
Akhronath. I'm pretty sure Akh was responsible for a substantial part if not a majority of the lexicon.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Akhronath also came up with a magic language he called Soruharva, incidentally. I have always figured he had a greater vocabulary for it than the bit he published on his site, because he translated Tolkien's "Ai laurie lantar lassi surinen" poem into the language and many of the words used aren't listed. Meant to mail him some time, but never really got around to it. Anyway...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
It was Wyrmfire, not Akhronath.

EDIT: And he did about a third, I did about a third, and *i did about a third.

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 01:28: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00