E2: Amber Periapt

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: E2: Amber Periapt
Apprentice
Member # 6522
Profile Homepage #0
I'm a fan of the various unique items scattered about Exile games, especially in Exile 2.

However, in a random shop, I just found a necklace by the name of an "Amber Periapt" with an ability listing "???." A fair deal of searching the hint book, the boards, FAQs, and sites with info on E2's rare items yielded nothing other than illumination about the purpose of E1's "Healing Periapt," which was a consumable, unlike this one.

Any idea what this thing does? I'd be trading in an Ivory Charm to use this, so I'd like for it to be worth the 4 defense.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
In BoE, the Amber Periapt gives you poison resistance -- swamps won't poison you at all, and other sources of poison will poison you less. I imagine it does something similar in E2. Pretty handy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #2
On the subject of resistances, do 2 items equipped that both give fire resistance make you immune to fire or a higher resistance then just having one equipped.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
No, different sources of the same resistance don't stack. You'll get only the same resistance bonus as whichever is first in your inventory list. (You don't get a cumulative bonus from two rings of Skill or Accuracy either.)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

No, different sources of the same resistance don't stack. You'll get only the same resistance bonus as whichever is first in your inventory list. (You don't get a cumulative bonus from two rings of Skill or Accuracy either.)
How could you wear two rings of Skill or Accuracy anyway?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #5
Because you are allowed 2 rings to be equipped at the same time.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 18:14: Message edited by: The Forgotten ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
One necklace, one bracelet, one ring, right? Unless Avernum has wiped my memory... Has it?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
It has. Exile has no bracelets and allows you to wear up to 2 rings.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #8
I always wondered why they limited those things. I meam, in real life, you can pretty much wear an infinite number of necklaces, bracelets and rings.

EDIT: The ring restriction is especially annoying. Come on! You've got six more fingers! (I'm presuming that one doesn't wear rings on one's thumb. I suppose one could, but I would find it rather hindersome.)

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 18:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
The thaum orbitals of similar magic items produce destructive interference that results in either magic items that don't work or, in some case, magic items that cause spontaneous, violent implosion.

This assumes that magic items are made for all four fingers, too. While magic can reflect without changing in effects, putting it on the wrong digit can cause catastrophe. Fortunately, because you can only use two rings, the standard has become making rings for ring fingers only.

—Alorael, who has been led to understand that Avernum's one ring limit was imposed to ensure a wider margin of safety.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
There's such a thing as game balance, you know. Wearing eight Gold Rings of Protection at once would be kind of overpowered. And if you compensate by making all rings 4 times weaker, all you've done is make inventory management more inconvenient. :P

--------------------