Ghaldring (SPOILERS)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Ghaldring (SPOILERS)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Anybody else as impressed as I was with how Jeff brought Ghaldring into the game, after a build-up consisting of the last screen from G2, all of G3, and 3.9 chapters of G4?

Before I got there, I really wondered how Jeff could possibly avoid anticlimax with this guy, short of introducing a 'super Mecha' sprite that made him take up half the screen. But it was awfully clever, I think, to deliberately make him anticlimactic at first, unimpressive in appearance and all. But the fact that the climax of Chapter 4 is you being a pawn in his game with Salassar makes him seem quite impressive after all. After that, I figured I would never be sure, whatever happened, whether it was Ghaldring's plan or not. I mean, for all I know, he actually wants the Trakovite ending to happen.

Like for instance. After you kill Salassar, he suggests that you visit his bier to pay your respects. I'm sure he says this because he knows full well this will lead to you wearing Salassar's hide around on your feet for the rest of the game. This guy is cold. Instead of just a big sprite, we have a Drakon Godfather.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6559
Profile #1
I agree Ghaldring was handled well, and I hope he comes back. I was puzzled that he didn't personally attend the final act of shaping.

Concerning that last part, when he advises you to go pay homage to Salassar's tomb before you leave, it felt somewhat like "Don't forget the souvenir shop on your left". When I clicked on the tomb, I half expected to get a dragonskin keyring/Salassar plush. I suspect deliberate mischievousness on Jeff's part.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Ghakdring is a master manipulator using the events to remove rivals without endangering himself with blood fueds. He also avoids any risks if the Unbound get out of control. I figure he retreats to the Ashen Isles to plot his revenge.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
I do hope Ghaldring survives if/when a next game is made. I liked the way he was introduced in this game, and would like to see his character played out a little bit more.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00