save editing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: save editing
Apprentice
Member # 14097
Profile #0
Not sure if it's allowed, but I would like to be able to edit my save games... does anyone know of a program already made, and if not, I'll write one... but i cannot locate where the saves are at in Vista.
All the local 'data\save#' folders only contain a 4byte file called temp.
and there is no folder in <user>\appdata for Geneforge 4 (geneforge 3 and avernum 4 yes)
If anyone knows please help me out.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #1
I already gave you a link in the tech support topic you posted your question in. But in order to be slightly more helpful: look in "Documents". And if they're not there... oh, I dunno... try searching for files called "items" everywhere. That might help. Or not.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #2
A much simpler approach is to use a Geneforge 4 editor. If that doesn't have the abilities you want you alter the Init State of a zone script. I am not sure what changes you seek to make.
Apprentice
Member # 14097
Profile #3
do you have a link to some savegame editors, I cannot seem to find any, and my current method of directly editing the data in a Hex Editor.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #4
Savegame editors won't be necessary here, just as well because I don't know of any. There is MicroPhage's editor:
http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/GF4Editor.zip

This works by replacing a zone script. Most of your problems should be resolved by use of this editor. If not, if you are familiar with how Blades of Avernum works, you can edit the zone scripts yourself. You alter the Init State of a zone script to toggle a quest or whatever, then when you enter the zone the changes take effect. No need to understand or alter the save file. I had a look at the Avernum 5 save file and it looked tougher to understand than the BoA version.
Apprentice
Member # 14097
Profile #5
Actually the save file is a lot easier to edit than the zone script, imo.
you open the game, find the value you want to change(eg: XP, Level, Skill values) and search for them in a recognizable pattern.
then replace with a new value. Save and reload your game, and presto chango!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
The only snag is that you will need to thoroughly decrypt the save file to make sure you know what you are doing. I use the method when I need to, Wizards & Warriors for example. In Blades of Avernum there is no need because the Character Editor does everything anyway.

In Geneforge 4 use of spells like Daze meant that I didn't need to alter the game at all.