Geneforge Timeline

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge Timeline
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #0
I haven't played all the way through some of the Geneforge games so I don't know how much time passed between each game.

So I was wondering if anyone knew. My timeline goes vaguely like this:

quote:

-Couple of millennia ago, shaping art starts on Sucia Island. Attempted conquesting happens and they abandon island and head to mainland to continue their expansion.
-About 300 years ago. First Geneforge is created then subsquently abandoned when Sucia becomes Barred.
-Year 0. Events of Geneforge start.
-Exodus of Sucia Serviles to mainland

-Events of Geneforge 2

-Events of Geneforge 3

-Geneforge 4 plays out. Currently unknown what happens next.

As I said, quite vague. And I want to want to make a good timeline.
So if anyone has any idea of when other events occured and basically how much time has passed during the Geneforge game.

Note: I've searched everywhere for a Geneforge timeline and couldn't find one. Which brought about this topic.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #1
G4: Events play out. Afterwards, unknown? Pfft! Use some imagination here! What do YOU think will happen in G5?

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #2
:rolleyes:

Actually I have pretty damn good idea what happens next. (En Masse Destruction. Possibly of the Apocalyptic Kind)
However since Geneforge 5 (And One Half) isn't made yet, the rest of the story is what some would say unknown.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #3
WARNING. Major-ass spoilers. The whole Geneforge series is here. WARNING.

I've thought a lot about exactly that! You could definitely go into lots of detail by researching the games, but it wouldn't REALLY be canon because one person (namely, Mr. Vogel) writes all the material and he may not have cared about specifics. There are enough minor continuity errors that it may not be worth going into a lot of detail.

Still, it's interesting. Let's look at more specific events! Oh, and since you haven't played through all the games, beware of spoilers!

The original Geneforge was built between 100 and 200 years before your arrival if I'm not mistaken. It can't be less than the oldest Servile's (Pinner's?) age, and that's about a century. Although the term "centuries ago" or "centuries old" is thrown around frequently, I think "centuries" may be defined as "more-than, one-century." So not necessarily 200 or more. Not my call. I guess Huestess would know. He's the only one who's been alive that whole time, apart from the Servant Minds, who were mostly ordered to forget stuff. Damn this vacuity!

On Sucia Island, particularly, there are many events you can put in order, but not apply to specific years. It's been a long, long time since I went through Geneforge, so I'm probably not the right person to make that list.

The other bits of Geneforge are closer together and some are even dated to the year. We can assume, by the way, that Shapers use their own calender, in which they have advanced to at least their fifth millennium (based on those notes shown for loading screens). Maybe their year zero is the year the Shaping arts began. The first game suggests that those, er, secret places are millennia old, right? Anyway, here's my list, annotated with years where they're relevant:

People living on Sucia Island discover Shaping. {4-5 thousand years ago?}Some other people start a war with the early Shapers. {Who were they? Did they come from off the island? Why were they fighting?}Shaping becomes an implement of war. {Foreshadowing all the self-shaping to come.}The Shapers leave Sucia Island entirely. {They gave up the struggle, right?}The Shapers inhabit Terrestria and some other places. They somehow establish dominion over the other people living there. {I smell a prequel.}The Shapers eventually come back to Sucia Island {Several thousand years after their original abandonment?}Their research leads them to create the canisters and ultimately the Geneforge {How long exactly did that take?}The Shapers abandon the island, leaving a plethora of creations like the Serviles. {Can't be more than a decade after their arrival, based on the journal of that research leader one, what was her name?}The Serviles realize they must become self-sufficient, but split up into factions somewhere along the way.The Sholai arrive and stumble upon the Geneforge and the Takers. {Centuries after the Serviles were abandoned.}Trajkov realizes he needs a Shaper, so he attacks that other Shaper guy, the one who lives in the temple to the northeast. Damned if I can remember his nameThe Sholai split into two factions.
Geneforge begins.You arrive. {A few weeks, maybe months after the last Shaper.}You do not help the Sholai. You don't use the Geneforge, and you destroy it. You return to the mainland, largely leaving the Serviles alone. Apparently the other Shaper guy remains in hiding, or you killed him. {Assumed from future games' stories.}
Geneforge ends.Zakary and Barzahl come to the island seeking its mysteries. (Soon afterward, maybe a few years. It seems the Shapers didn't clean up before they got there.}They come back, smuggling serviles, equipment, and regrettably, Drayks. {Weren't there only, like, three to start with? Jeez!} They all go up to the Drypeak Mountains.Zakary (remaining relatively loyal) founds a small colony to cover for the ambitious Barzahl (not exceedingly loyal), who enters a violent megalomania and wants war with the Shapers.The Takers form their own colony deeper in the mountains, where they have forsaken humans altogether and they begin Shaping.The Drayks beget the Drakons. They build another Geneforge. Easss Shapes and hides Ghaldring.
Geneforge 2 begins.You arrive. {About a decade since the last game. For some reason I keep thinking it was 50 years, but I don't think the Serviles aged much.}You and/or the Shapers from back home come and wipe out Zakary and Barzahl.
Geneforge 2 ends.The Awakened die out. Some of them probably join the Takers.I'm too tired to finish the list... I'm sure someone nice will look into all these things in the near future and correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #4
Thanks very much for that info Nick. A decade? Wow I didn't know that.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #5
Now THAT is a timeline.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.