Melee Combat Question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Melee Combat Question
Warrior
Member # 2156
Profile #0
I can't figure out any way to test this, but I'm pretty sure I just had a Plated Clawbug (zero intelligence, running on AI) attack something next to it, then move, then attack another target. If what I think happened actually happened, it might make ai-run Battle creations a little neater. Although still not useful.

ETA:

Okay, yeah, it definitely does that. Since I haven't done any melee PC's I have no idea if it's supposed to or not.

So...is it supposed to do that? I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to be able to move once you had attacked, period.

[ Saturday, May 19, 2007 23:23: Message edited by: DevilinDupriest ]

--------------------
I am the power Sodom used on Lot...

Name the movie, win a prize.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
There are a few exceptions to the rule that you can't move after spellcasting or attacking. Melee attacks allow you to move to another opponent as long as you will still have AP to attack after moving. You will see this happen with clawbugs and hasted golems.

A bug allows you to move if you click on an item to search. This allows for movement when you shouldn't have it.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
The only thing you can't do after attacking is to just move — to move to an empty square. So you can't attack, move, then shoot, or cast a spell, or do anything that would require a separate command after completing the move. But actions for which one click produces a move and something else, like opening a chest or making a melee attack, are fine.

This is a very good and reasonable feature, actually, because it lets melee attacks share the basic advantage of ranged attacks, that with enough AP they can engage multiple targets in one round. We all agree that melee needs all the help it can get.

Everyone recognizes that in principle a well-placed cupboard could now allow the sort of shoot-and-run tactics that were the bane of the old AP system. But no-one has reported actually exploiting this. Obviously there are not too many openable items placed conveniently around a corner from a battle. And that one extra AP just to open or close something makes it significantly tougher to do the exploit. Plus it just makes it a bit more obvious that what you're doing is an engine exploit, rather than reasonable tactics.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 2156
Profile #3
Cool. Good to know. Now I might just play a Battle Buddy army after all. After I'm done with my current mixed fire/magic group.

--------------------
I am the power Sodom used on Lot...

Name the movie, win a prize.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
One extremely annoying feature -- this is a carryover from the G1-3 AP systems -- is that you only get the chance to move again if you have at least 5 AP remaining after the attack. Note that item-based attacks are exceptions. Thus with 9 AP, you can use two crystals and then shoot something, but if you shoot something first, you can't use even a single crystal, despite still having the AP to use both!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00