I wish to play in this game in Russia

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I wish to play in this game in Russia
Apprentice
Member # 8083
Profile #0
Whether, in particular localization is planned for Russian at it? I think set of people would be grateful if game will be localized in Russia.

Yours faithfully infom.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #1
Yeah but with the new cold war a long i think it will be difficult.
And those games have an only english version if i am right, russians couldn't play with the same understanding than we do if they don't speak english.
If i offend you by saying this please tell me.

[ Wednesday, February 14, 2007 01:06: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Prospects of a translation aren't great. Spiderweb Software is a small outfit and I don't think they can really afford to hire a translator.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8076
Profile #3
I know some russians (50? 100?) who are good at translating, and they translated Mount&Blade (a game) for free... Might do geneforge too. :rolleyes:
Just give the word. :D

--------------------
... and that's my final word!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Well, you can always try emailing them (spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com) and seeing what Jeff has to say; just don't be too disappointed if he says "no".

He did allow a third-party Linux port of one of his games once, though, so I suppose it's not completely out of the question.

[ Wednesday, February 14, 2007 03:30: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Getting the fonts to work properly might require some effort on Jeff's part, which lowers the likelihood, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I don't think the Linux port makes a good case for allowing more third-party work. It's known for being not so good.

I think Russian localization is unlikely. Even if it is done for free, Jeff is so averse to both potential risks and potential headaches. On the other hand, most of the work is just a matter of editing the scripts and possibly changing the font, which isn't all that hard.

—Alorael, who still think Jeff will say no. He apparently does not like people touching his work.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

Yeah but with the new cold war a long i think it will be difficult.
And those games have an only english version if i am right, russians couldn't play with the same understanding than we do if they don't speak english.
If i offend you by saying this please tell me.

Well, I didn't take offense, but I just wanted to point that I am from Chili (in South America) and here Spanish is the native language. I studied English and have been playing Spiderweb games since the era of the early Exiles and haven't had trouble. I use a dictionary once in a while to check some new verbs, but I have also learnt in a funny and motivating way by playing; so believe me, being British, Canadian or American is not a requirement to fully enjoy these games ;) I have even seen some people from Italy and France here.

We probably do miss some cultural jokes or expressions, but that does not make the game less attractive.
Also, I thought "Infom" meant if it was possible to buy the game in Russia(?). Anyways, let's pray for not having to hear again about a new "cold war"...
Saludos amigos.

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #8
Well currently there are no translations into any other languages, and if translations started being done, I don't think Russian would be the biggest priority, as there are probably a few other languages that would have a bigger market.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Mainly Finnish, it seems.

—Alorael, who of course doesn't think that Finland needs any help in finding its way to Spiderweb. It's doing just fine in English.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by The King:

... On the other hand, most of the work is just a matter of editing the scripts and possibly changing the font, which isn't all that hard.

I just checked, and the game's font can't represent Russian characters. So a fan translation isn't going to happen either. (Unless Jeff decides to modify the game to accept Russian characters in scripts.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 8083
Profile #11
Many thanks for answers.
I do not divide your pessimism in occasion of distribution of game to Russia, but I shall not assure without adducing any proof you of success of this game at us in the country. I shall simply connect all my friends. I hope you know that Russia is famous for the hardcore players who with pleasure will play this fine game.
I not bad know English language, and I shall try to play original game.
Warrior
Member # 1668
Profile #12
Has anyone else here read "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer?...Nice that Alex is a Spiderweb fan!

--------------------
"Mongo only pawn in game of life" -- Mongo