basics stats, how much u got?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: basics stats, how much u got?
Apprentice
Member # 8558
Profile #0
Would be good to have an idea on what other players have in:
LVL
CLASS

STR
DEX
INT
END

[ Wednesday, November 07, 2007 07:16: Message edited by: ArchMage81 ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Level obviously depends on where you are in the game. Since how much you can increase your skills depends on level, those are all variable as well. Class doesn't even have any meaning beyond skill point allocation, and most people here use all Custom.

—Alorael, who concludes that maybe you should ask a more specific question. Give a point in the game and people can say what their parties look like.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Zer0:

... and most people here use all Custom.

Which is odd given that it is like throwing away skill points. Depending on the class, you get from 3 to 11 extra points by using a pre-made class rather than custom. Practically none of those extra points are wasted by the mid- to end-game.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #3
Custom has more flexibility..some pre-mades waste on unimportant points..so those so-called "wasted" points..are just fracture of your imagination..

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Being able to decide at the beginning where to place skill points means making a more powerful character at the start. A spellcaster that has higher level spells is the best example.

Most of those extra skill points aren't needed because the skills aren't that useful. First Aid is better in A4, but in the earlier games it was too low at the start to be used, could only be used once a day, and could be skipped the whole game without being noticed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Points in any combat skills for spellcasters, Polearms for the sword guy, Melee for the spearman, Throwing for anyone, and anything that can be bought easily with money instead of skill points (First Aid, Archery) are wasted.

—Alorael, who also doesn't find a few skill points a compelling reason to start with a subpar character. Yes, the classes really are quite poorly made. It's like Jeff isn't an atrocious min-maxer or something.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Powergaming... blech.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 8558
Profile #7
I just want to know whats the ideal base stats for a fighter, mage or priest. I mean how much end and str should i put to a fighter
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
You need at least 2 extra over starting in strength for fighters so they can wear some armor without encumberance.

In Avernum 4 and earlier games there isn't much point in raising endurance at the start. The increase in health is barely noticeable and the effect on resistances isn't much better. Running a glass cannon with points to attacking skills is better even for a fighter. Augmentation and later essence armor spells will give more health than adding to endurance until the middle of the game.

Spellcasters should have enough levels in mage and/or priest to have all starting spells. Then increase intelligence to have more spell energy.
Apprentice
Member # 8323
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

You need at least 2 extra over starting in strength for fighters so they can wear some armor without encumberance.

In Avernum 4 and earlier games there isn't much point in raising endurance at the start. The increase in health is barely noticeable and the effect on resistances isn't much better. Running a glass cannon with points to attacking skills is better even for a fighter. Augmentation and later essence armor spells will give more health than adding to endurance until the middle of the game.

Spellcasters should have enough levels in mage and/or priest to have all starting spells. Then increase intelligence to have more spell energy.

Another pointer about customs, if you have Pure Spirit/Natural Mage you will only spend 13/16 points for the starting spells, respectively. That's 62 extra points for Priests and 59 for Magi (or whatever you call your spellcasters).

[ Sunday, November 11, 2007 20:57: Message edited by: Dreadknight ]

--------------------
Probably the most unusual questions ever: "What happens when the unstoppable force hits the immovable object?" "Why did we include the option to boost the enemies' power with the robot, or to use it to attack ourselves?" "Who ate all the mayo off my egg salad? And how?"
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dreadknight:

Another pointer about customs, if you have Pure Spirit/Natural Mage you will only spend 13/16 points for the starting spells, respectively. That's 62 extra points for Priests and 59 for Magi (or whatever you call your spellcasters).
You get those bonuses with the pre-made characters as well.
Pure Spirit/Natural Mage Hedge Wizard wastes 5 points on Melee Weapons and Quick Action - which is precisely the extra you get above going Custom. I hate to leave those on the table even if they might be marginal points.

Also, the early game isn't hard (it's designed that way) so aiming for a better mid- to late-game character seems better to me. You don't need an optimised character at the start.

But, certainly there are certain classes that don't make sense. My list of acceptable classes include Rogue, Hedge Wizard and Berzerker. I use the Rogue as the Archer base, Berzerker as the Melee base and Hedge Wizard as the Combo spellcaster base.