Why won't he pay me?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Why won't he pay me?
Apprentice
Member # 10051
Profile #0
Hi people

I just rediscovered these games (I first played exile 3 over a decade ago...) and am now addicted to Avernum 4.

But I keep finishing quests and people don't notice! For example, the captain at Grindstone asked me to kill a certain ogre. So I did. But he doesn't seem to have noticed and so I can't get my reward!

Anyone have any ideas?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
I am pretty sure if you go through the dialog options there should be one after you kill the ogre to the east of Grindstone. Sometimes they aren't on the first screen of options.
Apprentice
Member # 10051
Profile #2
There isn't. I even started the game all over again. This time he paid me for killing the ogre but now Lark doesn't notice I've got her bat bits. And in the first game I started there are other quests that people just don't seem to notice I've done them.

Its getting rather annoying
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
A lot of quests in A4 do not affect dialog at all, particularly Job Board quests. A little message will show up when you click on the person INSTEAD of the dialogue box, saying something like "You show Jeff the Nephil's severed head. Jeff hands you a pouch of 300 coins and a silver bracelet."

Are the quests still listed in your quest log?

For the bat bits quest, note that you need multiple bat bits and you are not guaranteed to get one per killed bat. You may need to visit the area repeatedly to get enough.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 10051
Profile #4
Thanks for trying to help.

The quests are still in my log. They don't show up in dialog or as lines of text in the bottom and I'm fairly sure I've picked up 3 mottled bat bits.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Check special items when you click the journal icon on the right for quests.
Apprentice
Member # 10051
Profile #6
Thanks. I'll try that.

I think some of my problems may come from doing the quest before people ask me to.

And I've decided that so long as all the main quest things work I may as well just carry on with enjoying the game. I can always replay it if I really want to.

Thanks people for your suggestions. I'm off to kill some undead
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
Heh, this could be amusing. Imagine killing 227 chitrachs and then Mairwen tells you to go do it again :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 10051
Profile #8
As much as I enjoy killing chitrachs I think that would be a bit much even for me. If that does happen I'll be back here pulling my hair out and screaming rather loudly...

;)
Apprentice
Member # 10155
Profile #9
I've done many quests before being asked, not even knowing I was doing them! I've still gotten paid or received the object. I just had to get the prompt for the quest before I got my reward.