Transfer characters from one computer to another

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Transfer characters from one computer to another
Apprentice
Member # 7756
Profile #0
In a few weeks I will be buying a new iMac (whenever Apple decides to upgrade the things), and one of my first acts will be to buy Avernum 4 so that I may get past the demo and fully enjoy this really awesome game.

I have about 3 parties that have made it to the end of the demo, and I was hoping that maybe there is an easy way to transfer my characters from one machine to another so I don't lose these guys when I get my new comp. I guess it could be as easy as copying the save files to the new Avernum folder on my new iMac, but my experience tells me sometimes it's not as easy as that.

Anyone know the way to accomplish this?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
Indeed, copy the save files.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
It's not quite that easy, but it's close. In the Avernum 4 Files folder, there are folders called Save0 through Save19. They correspond to the save slots in the game. You need to copy an entire folder. Or, to make things easier, just copy all the folders.

—Alorael, who doesn't understand why the saves are so immensely bloated, but they are. It's actually probably nearly as easy to transfer the entire Avernum 4 folder and not worry about which pieces you need.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Just copy the save0 to save 19 folders. I think that some of the scripts that are in the entire game folder might act differently in the latest version that you are downloading than the older game versions.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #4
Why wait until you get a new mac?

I mean, I could understand for games such as Civ4. Cause it'll run slow on older machines. But A4 runs just as fine as it has always done after the demo area.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Apprentice
Member # 7756
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by SevenMass:

Why wait until you get a new mac?

I mean, I could understand for games such as Civ4. Cause it'll run slow on older machines. But A4 runs just as fine as it has always done after the demo area.

An excellent question. I'm currently living at home, but I'm moving into my own place in a few weeks. Living at home is nice (especially when I'm paying no rent), but I have almost no privacy of any kind-we have a large family but a smallish house. I'm using my parent's Mac Mini to play because my old G4 is kaput, but I only have at most 30 min a day to play. That's fine as far as the demo is concerned because I'm new to the game, and I'm still trying to figure stuff out. When I play the full game, however, I want to have a lot of time to focus solely on the game-Avernum 4 is too well done to not give it my full attention. Since the new iMac is coming out almost the same time as I'm moving into my new apartment, it just seems to make more sense to wait until then to buy the full version.

Also, thanks for the info on moving saved parties!
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #6
Ah, I understand, I always had this habit to unpack my Xmas presents after the gifting ceremony was over. So I could devote my full attention at admiring them uninterrupted. (though this usually reduced the fun of it for the rest of the family :P )

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)