Any workups on magical efficiency?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Any workups on magical efficiency?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #0
There are a few nice workups going on QA, gymnastics, and things. Does anybody have one on magical efficiency verse intelligence and such?

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Well, in my experience, the freakish bonus to Spell Points from just one more level of Intelligence beats the SP-conserving bonuses from one level of Mag. Efficiency.

So, bottom line: increase your SP with intelligence, and just invest in some energy potions. You end up with a lot more energy left over.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Plus, there comes a point where you have more than enough spell energy, and you're better off investing in Spellcraft and Magery to make your spells better. I have a hard time imagining how even a full-time mage could need more than 10 intelligence. Maybe a full-time mage/priest who's your only source of Augmentation and Enduring Armor would need more, but why have only one spellcaster in your party anyway?

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 15:26: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
I would recommend going up to 8 Intelligence, which is enough with 6 Priest or Mage Spells to give you Magery. Then you have the option of bumping up Magery or Spellcraft to make spells more powerful, whichever is cheaper. Eventually, you'll probably wind up with a couple of items to bump your spellcaster(s) up another point or two in intelligence. But I find 8-10 Intelligence plenty, and prefer making my spells more powerful. Quickly killing your foes is probably more important in this game than having great longevity in spellcasting ability, and that's what energy potions are for.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
The only way you should train in magical efficiency is to buy it from Thompson in Fort Remote.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
The only acceptable source of Magical Efficiency is Natural Mage. Your mages should have that trait anyway, so they get some points of a useless skill for free!

—Alorael, who would much prefer Magical Efficiency if it were weaker (hard to imagine) and predictable.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #6
I asked Jeff several times during the beta why mages who had Natural Mage didn't get any Magery, considering their spells were going to be more powerful and more damaging. Magical Efficiency did absolutely nothing to live up to the skills description. Their spells only occasionally cost a single point less, but did no extra damage as advertised.

Jeff would answer my emails and discuss other points, but he refused to offer an explaination on why Natural Mages don't get Magery.

I was mildly annoyed to the say the least.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Well, the bonus to Mage Spells skill does make your spells more powerful as well as giving you access to more spells.

Oh, and Alo, Pure Spirit gives Magical Efficiency too, and actually gives more of it than Natural Mage does. Admittedly, though, Magical Efficiency on its own isn't a particularly compelling reason to take either trait.

[ Wednesday, December 21, 2005 21:00: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Heh. I actually meant Pure Spirit because I didn't realize Natural Mage gives Magical Efficiency. It either gives none at level 1 or that was changed after the earlier betas. Since my characters have both traits, I stopped distinguishing between them.

—Alorael, who remembers thinking that mages get a good deal with a 15% permissible encumberance increase. Priests get... well, they must be fond of self-torture in the name of piety.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #9
Well, priests get cheaper priest spells with or without Pure Spirit and have no encumbrance issues, so a priest with Pure Spirit and a Mage with Natural Mage are roughly on the same foot, except the mage has more expensive spell levels and could still become encumbered, if you really weigh him down with the wrong combination of armor.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #10
is magical effieciency like magery or intelligence? :confused: :confused: :confused:

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Well, in my experience, the freakish bonus to Spell Points from just one more level of Intelligence beats the SP-conserving bonuses from one level of Mag. Efficiency.
Argh, read this.

Magical Efficiency reduces the SP cost of casting a spell.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #12
Why do I keep expecting argh to finally make a post in beautifully concise English explaining that the whole thing was a joke from the first day of his appearance?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #13
Well, he has 45 of them now, and just one typo in this one. Maybe he's getting there.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
I count two.