spoiler about Tor in tower

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: spoiler about Tor in tower
Apprentice
Member # 6584
Profile #0
i don't know if this goes anywhere but when i deliver a message written in invisible ink to someone working in a top secret facility as we do with Tor i'd sure either confront him or report to the head of the facility. unfortunetly neither option is available.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
You're surprised that a secret projects receives secret messages? Tor is loyal to Fort Avernum. Don't worry about it.

—Alorael, who at least assumes Tor is loyal. Maybe he'll be the villain in A5!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
You would think he would have been dead by now, along with just about every other recurring NPC.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
The NPCs haven't aged uniformly. Time flows strangely in Avernum.

Commander Johnson's still there, though, and so is Tor's wife, who changed her name. Some old wizards are hanging around. Crisper is surprisingly stable, and Kelner is surprisingly still practicing magic despite all the disasters he lives through. There are a few others scattered here and there, but those are the memorable ones.

—Alorael, who wanted to know what happened to Aimee, Chevyn, and Anaximander. No such luck.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
Chevyn was going to be king someday.

Where did Starrus come from?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Starrus is such a cop-out. Jeff had an interesting thing going with the incompetent heir.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
Anaximander is probably still disrobing on the surface if I had to guess. Chevyn vanished so we could have a more competent Bob personna. Aimee is probably still floating in the now inaccessable northern waters. Also, what is the name of that wizard that was hiding from the Empire up there?

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Chevyn vanished so we could have a more competent Bob personna.
But... but... we had Houghton for that! Chevyn being cloistered because he's incompetent works just as well as Starrus being cloistered because he's young. All Jeff had to do was not kill off Houghton (or, hey, it might have been interesting to kill off Houghton anyway and leave the party to deal with Chevyn from that point onwards).

[ Thursday, December 22, 2005 00:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #8
whos's tor????? :confused:

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Tor was in charge of handing out supplies in Fort Avernum in A1, a farmer near Fort Draco in A2, and is now once again working for the mages in Fort Avernum in A4.

You should really just register the game and play for yourself, you know. It's rather frustrating to explain everything that comes up in every thread.

—Alorael, who can't say it helps that the explanations seem to go entirely ignored.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by *i:

Chevyn vanished so we could have a more competent Bob personna.
But... but... we had Houghton for that! Chevyn being cloistered because he's incompetent works just as well as Starrus being cloistered because he's young. All Jeff had to do was not kill off Houghton (or, hey, it might have been interesting to kill off Houghton anyway and leave the party to deal with Chevyn from that point onwards).

Would have been, but come on now, do you think Jeff would ever deviate from his style of a powerful Bob type versus a mentally deficient one?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6086
Profile #11
Given that we're all here because we worship Jeff and All His Works, he comes in for a surprising amount of personal criticism...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Lover of GIFTS:

Given that we're all here because we worship Jeff and All His Works
Flawed assumption.

We're mostly here because originally we wanted to talk about Jeff's games, one way or another. Most of the old crowd wanted to talk about BoE, which had little to do with Jeff at all.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #13
Kel is correct, of course, but there are two main things that annoy some of the people who have been around for a while.

1) Complete disregard for the people who design the scenarios that made BoE such a successful venture. I understand not giving us everything we want, but failure to fix simple bugs is weak. There are arguments about forcing people to update, but honestly, you make one stock e-mail and use it as a reply for anyone with that need.

BoA, although powerful, was made in such a way that it is extremely cumbersome to use. BoE was compact and just about anyone could make a decent scenario, BoA is much more so. Had Jeff interacted more with the community on the project, rather than the "I am going to make it the way I want to and if you don't like it too bad", I believe we would have had a much more user friendly tool. As it is, I doubt more than 30 decent BoA scenarios will EVER be made.

2) Lack of innovation since Nethergate/GF1 is the other big one. Exile was great because it was all new and so was Nethergate. Avernum 1-3 were just remakes is psuedo-3D with less graphical detail and maybe a few extra things here and there. Geneforge had a lot of new qualities, but quickly became more of the same.

After a while, it becomes clear that Jeff does not really have much in the way of new ideas, he just recycles old ones ad nausium. He might change names and graphics, but otherwise everything is pretty much the same and utterly predictable.

I hope this gives more of an explanation of the older community's feelings.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #14
Indeed. My favorite Spiderweb game is Nethergate. All fresh, and self-contained. The Geneforges felt like sating an addiction - not a lot of pleasure, just a desire to finish it -, and Avernums weren't much different. Except that Avernum 2 left a good taste in the mouth, but that's probably because my second favorite game is Exile 2.

RAmpaGE.

Edit: typos.

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 12:31: Message edited by: RAmpaGE ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Be fair. Geneforge 1 is new and even fairly original. It's certainly more original than Exile/Avernum, which is really just generic fantasy set mostly underground. From my understanding, though, the Geneforge sequels just recycle the first game painfully.

Nethergate is wonderful.

—Alorael, who can enjoy the Avernums (A3 less so, but it's still fun) without trying to say that they're original. He prefers Avernum to Exile, but he'd really prefer a new plot. A4 is not a new plot because it's not really a plot at all.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
A2 was the first game I got my hands on, and the first of the epic-roleplaying-adventure game I'd ever played. As such, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) it immensely. I didn't try any Exile games. I didn't like Nethergate because it felt clunky (to me), I was disappointed that you could only be human in A1 and there was no "quest" button. I loved G1 and came to love G2. BoA is only worth it for the scenario editor, if I ever get around to finishing one. I didn't like A3 or G3 enough to buy them. I am also disappointed that the A4 environment is more like Geneforge than the other Avernum games.

Dikiyoba