Level 3 spells

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Level 3 spells
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #0
I'm confused about how they work now. If you get a point from a spellbook before you've learned (from sages/mages) the spell up to level 2, is it possible to get to level 3 in that spell?
I've just found the spellbook for Heal and I haven't previously learned it.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
The spell system isn't limited to three levels anymore, and you don't need to know a spell at all to benefit from a tome. Instead, you can purchase up to two levels of any spell at any time. You can buy them before learning spells from other sources or after getting the spell to level 5 from finding books scattered in Avernum. The order isn't important.

Interestingly, the same is true for the few places in which you can get a bonus to skills applying to your entire party. There are several places where you can have your entire party gain a point of Endurance, for example, but it doesn't increase the cost of training Endurance at all, so there's no point in waiting before getting the bonus. Single character increases (such as from trainers who will give you skills for money) are treated the same as purchasing an increase with skill points.

—Alorael, who was very happy with this change. It's much better than having to record the locations of spells and skills until you have already learned as much as you can from normal sources.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #2
THERES FIVE LEVELS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 671
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Periodic Emotion:

You can buy them before learning spells from other sources or after getting the spell to level 5 from finding books scattered in Avernum. The order isn't important.
Just looking for some clarification, as I've found tomes to be one-read only, and I don't want to end up making a decision I'll regret later. You're saying that I can read a book of any given spell, and then go to a trainer to teach the spell twice more, putting me at the third level?

I had assumed beforehand that if you read the book but did not already have the improved spell learned, that you would not benefit. I might be mistaken, but that's the impression I had from the other Avernum titles, and I'm sure that's how it was in exile.

This would be spectacular.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Exile has only one spell level. Previous Avernums are order dependent in that most tomes don't teach you anything unless you already have the spell at level one, but most then skip level two and put you straight at three. You can also go back and reread tomes.

Blades of Avernum has a system like what you're expecting.

In A4 it doesn't matter whether you read first or buy first. You'll end up at the same place for the same price. The only thing to avoid is reading tomes while you have dead characters, because they won't benefit and you can't go back and read it again later.

—Alorael, who is sure there are at least five levels of spells, although he didn't find five for all spells and won't rule out a level six spell that he missed.
Apprentice
Member # 4448
Profile #5
quote:

The only thing to avoid is reading tomes while you have dead characters, because they won't benefit and you can't go back and read it again later.

Actually, I was experimenting with this earlier. Cleric died halfway through a battle, part of the reward was a Heal spellbook. Read it with the mage and fighters, revived the cleric. Then read the book again; she went up in the spell, the others stayed at the previous level. So there's never any danger that comes from reading a spellbook.

Heh, I just realized that that was my first post here after having an account for over a year. crazy.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 21:44: Message edited by: Celchu ]

--------------------
Yeah, here's a sig. On to more posts...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Celchu:

Heh, I just realized that that was my first post here after having an account for over a year. crazy.
IMAGE(http://d21c.com/walpurgis9/happies/faces2/129.gif)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

THERES FIVE LEVELS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh damn I always hated that part of BoA, well I still hadn't seen the A4 spells but the 5 levels are so annoying! And make them to lose the allmightyness of the 3rd level.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Yes, levels are much less signifcantly different now. They all do the same thing; it's just a matter of how high the numbers are or how long the effects last. Level 1 is the critical one, and after that it's not all that important.

—Alorael, who would like to know the exact rates of equivalence for Magery, Spellcraft, and spell levels. Unlock is probably the easiest spell to test, but he doesn't have any party ready to test it.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #9
It is interesting to note that Spellcraft costs 2000 from Cecil in Cotra, but Magery costs 1500 and both are said to be "Pretty Average" in cost. This suggests Spellcraft is 1/3 more powerful than Magery, though I bet it isn't actually.

I have an endgame test setup for unlocking the L35 door with my mage/thief, and I bumped up Magery till it would open last time. I'll do a comparison to see how many levels of Spellcraft it takes and report back.

EDIT: The results are in! I put them in a more specifically relevant thread.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 16:27: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Automated Posting Unit AL0-335:

—Alorael, who would like to know the exact rates of equivalence for Magery, Spellcraft, and spell levels. Unlock is probably the easiest spell to test, but he doesn't have any party ready to test it.
Augmentation or Enduring Armor would be even easier to test, IMHO, since they give the same bonus to HP every time you cast them, and you don't need a locked door to test it. My prediction: extra spell levels won't do awfully much. The exact "conversion rate" between spell levels and spell-power-boosting stats may be different for different spells, though; it was in BoA.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 18:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
The Augmentation description lies. The amount of health gained is not dependent on caster stats, or at least not dependent in a way that makes any detectable difference when I tried training Mage skill and Spellcraft.

—Alorael, who isn't too disappointed. Augmentation is already in the running for most abusable spell, although Enduring Armor really wins that category hands down.
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #12
quote:

WHO IS ALORAEL!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #13
Alorael is the guy who posts stuff which ends always with Alorael-...

He´s also one of the most helpful visitors of these boards. You can find him in 3 ways:

1. look for a post like described above; 2. look for a visitor with a everchanging name(mostly it doesn´t makes any sense for newbies); 3. look for one guy with the number 335;

4. Never write such stupid questions about Alorael while being angry! :mad:

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 02:17: Message edited by: Slith Lord ]

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Wow. I've never inspired so many angry (or embarassed) graemlins before.

Argh(etc.), to quote someone you need to click the quote button located on the post you're quoting. I don't quite understand what you're doing, but as you may have noticed you're not putting quotes in the right place.

The standard format is:

[ QUOTE ]Originally written by name of poster:
[ QB ]Stuff that you want to quote goes here[ /QB ][ /QUOTE ]

Remove the spaces inside the brackets and it'll come out right.

—Alorael, who doesn't see how the post asking who he is is evil. He also doesn't see how masked profanity, which is a violation of the Code of Conduct, was in any way necessary or useful. Please refrain.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #15
You stick up for someone, and they burn you down.

Harsh.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
I admire Alo for his impartiality. One's defender should not receive special permission to violate the CoC any more than one's antagonist.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
Argh has asked this question before, has been answered, and has paid no attention.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #18
Worst case of ADHD I've ever seen in print.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

—Alorael, who is sure there are at least five levels of spells, although he didn't find five for all spells and won't rule out a level six spell that he missed.
I just got Smite to level 6, so there's at least one spell that can be raised that high.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #20
Hey yeah, Thurly, you're right. Smite does go up to 6. It's the only spell I got that high. In fact the only level 5 spells I ever got were [EDIT out five spells so as not to spoil] This is at my endgame save and I did everything in the game, so should not have missed any. There are a fair number of spells which never make it past level 2 and some never past level 1.

[ Thursday, December 22, 2005 21:27: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

There are a fair number of spells which never make it past level 2 and some never past level 1.
Though as some of us are slowly realizing (I'm really slow sometimes), it doesn't much matter. Getting a higher level in the spell doesn't change the spell's capabilities any longer like it used to, and if you look at the spell power level, it's the sum of mage/priest, spellcraft, and the spell level (also presumably magery, but that's not in the manual). So the spell level adds between 1 and 5, whereas (by endgame, anyway), your other skills are probably responsible for something approaching 20 points. Kind of boring, really, given the costs of increasing spells that high. :(

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 384
Profile #22
I what I find particularly frustrating with the new spell system is largely the fact that attaining the highest levels of spells in previous Avernum games meant a significant boost in what you could do in the game. Level 3 Haste became a mass haste spell, Level 3 Safe Travel meant walking on lava. Even the upper level of spells like Arcane Shield meant more protection than lower levels. Now it just seems like spells last longer.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Xeno's Paragua:

—Alorael, who doesn't see how the post asking who he is is evil. He also doesn't see how masked profanity, which is a violation of the Code of Conduct, was in any way necessary or useful. Please refrain.
Sorry for writing this, but I was just too angry about that guy. :mad:
I edited my previous post so that it does not violate the CoC anymore.

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!