Almaria warning(possible spoilers)...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Almaria warning(possible spoilers)...
Apprentice
Member # 6274
Profile Homepage #0
I have come across what seems to be a bug... I have made through to the Castle in the Great Cave. Before I even got past Almaria I had investigated the Vahnatai on the basalt flats near the tower colony, talked to Rentar, fought past her traps, the whole deal. So I arrive at the Castle and am directed to Houghton, the King's advisor. Now something interesting happens. I go to the waiting room, see Houghton, click on him to talk (WITHOUT setting foot in his office, actually) and get his talking dialog. He gives me the quest to investigate the basalt flats for Vahnatai, which I have already done, so I just cycle through the dialog options until I get to the one where I tell him I met Rentar. He then tells me that they have sent soldiers to Almaria to breach the gate and that I can enter. So I go back to Almaria and the gate is closed and the guards hate me. I return to se Houghton, this time I actually step inside his office, and get this OTHER automatic dialog of him asking me to show him the whispering crystal shard, which I do, and so forth (this is important, as I had not gotten this dialog before!). Of course, since I had already talked to him and completed the quest, I can't get any options for completing the basalt flats quest again. I return to Almaria and the guards still attack me, and the gate is still closed.

So... I restarted from a previous saved game, went to the Castle, stepped inside Houghton's office before talking to him this time, got the dialog of him asking to see the crystal, and then talking to him normally and completing the basalt flats mission. I go to Almaria and the gates are open, the guards don't attack me. Everything is peachy. But in the other game I am stuck. Anyone else happen to have this problem?

--------------------
The Secret Ninja Lair
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #1
Didn't happen to me.

At any rate, compress your savefile and send it to Jeff with a description of the bug and he may be able to fix it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Synergy, didn't you mention a game-ruining bug that cropped up at the Castle? Is this the one you were talking about?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
I haven't encountered any game ruining bugs since earlier betas, though I have in V1.0 encountered, or am aware of, bugs in fighting Hrickis (happened to me once), the arena combat in Spire, the Hakaai location outside the final fortress, and a textual non-sequitor that still exists in the final cutscenes.

Sometimes also, if you finish quests before being given them, or even simply after having finished quests, you get weird sequences of dialog with other people which seem non-sensical or redundant, but it doesn't affect gameplay.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
Hrickis... I know of a BAD bug with Hrickis, involving somehow waking him up as you enter, and he starts shooting through the walls.

I told Jeff about it.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #5
Yeah, that's the one, but I could only trigger it once, seemingly by shooting by bow from afar a skeleton who was in the hallway leading to Hrickis. Then I got the greeting dialog box from Hrickis as if I had rounded the corner and seen him. I think I stopped this before he actually attacked me through the wall, but this apparently, is also the issue in the Spire arena.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 22:01: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6274
Profile Homepage #6
NOW I think I know what exactly happened. Retracing my steps with an earlier save, I think this is what I did:

1) Finished the vahnatai sighting mission

2) Went to the Castle, talked to the advisor guy Houghton.

3) While talking to him, I finished the vahnatai sighting mission, but DID NOT get the rescue envoy mission

4) Got bored and left. Went to fort emerald, took down the northern barriers without anyone's permission :) and naturally explored north.

5) Found a weird crystal box guarded by exploding orbs, took it, and returned to the Castle.

6) Houghton is assassinated by vahnatai myrmidons (those are new...) And now I can NEVER get the rescue envoy mission. And Almaria always hates me. Meh.

Of course this hasen't really interfered with the completion of later missions, it is just annoying that I can't explore Almaria without everyone attacking me. I suppose I could mercilessly slaughter them and loot their corpses, but that just seems tasteless.

The moral of the story:

DO NOT GET QUEST ITEMS UNTIL SOMEONE TELLS YOU TO! Or at least that crystal box.

--------------------
The Secret Ninja Lair
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Uh-oh. I wish you'd told me that a day ago; I've already got that box. Maybe I'll wait for a patch before visiting the Castle.

Have you emailed Jeff Vogel about this yet?

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 20:14: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
So the barriers out of Fort Emerald are dispellable, huh? Without any cheating, your mages at this point in the game can do it, or did a Piercing Crystal do it? If so, Jeff should just make those barriers non-dispellable until they are let down for your quest.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
I used Dispel Barrier on them. Come to think of it, though, it may well be that they're not supposed to be dispellable, even though they actually are. No cheating required; my mage had, uh, 16 Mage Spells, 4 Spellcraft and 5 Magery, or thereabouts.

I'll see how recent my last backup savefile was. I keep accidentally saving in the wrong slot when I'm not paying attention, so I have a lot of unintentional backups. I have a feeling I might have one from right before getting the box.

EDIT: Whew. I've got one from just before visiting Fort Emerald, only about two hours before my most recent saved game. It means I'll have to redo the Demonslayer quest, though.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 20:53: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6274
Profile Homepage #10
I have emailed Jeff about this, with some saved games attached. I think the main problem is that those barriers should not be dispellable, I am using a party on hard mode and have not edited or cheated in any way. The only level of Dispel Barrier that I have is the one I got from the mission to kill the demon in the Tower Colony. I remember talking to the people at fort emerald and their dialog suggested that I should not be able to dispel them, but I tried it anyway and it worked...

Of course, you may be able to go through the caves at fort saffron to get it still, though. It seems that you could go in the castle, not talk to Houghton, talk to the other people instead, and get that mission. If you are persistent. I think Jeff may have counted too much on people going straight to the castle and following what the npcs tell you as soon as you get to the great cave. I guess I got sent to Avernum for a reason :)

And Thuryl, I think you would be able to still complete the game, just never get into Almaria (without all the NPCs trying to kill you anyway). Finishing the crystal box mission seems to be after the Almaria mission anyways.

--------------------
The Secret Ninja Lair
Apprentice
Member # 6566
Profile #11
I had that problem with the crystal box bit as well. I got bored with the meet meet rentar in the basalt wathcamacallit place, and did other stuff instead, including getting the box. Which apparently (I had no idea....) made the whole set of almaria missions nonexistant. I started over from the begining, but at least I know what is happening...
Apprentice
Member # 6595
Profile #12
I was having that problem as well at first but I found that if you go and talk to Houghton after completing the first leg of the Inverted bandit mission the city can be opened. Ask him what else you can do for avernum and he'll send you to Almaria to talk to the mayor. After that I had no problem getting into the city.

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 11:40: Message edited by: monkeyspider ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
If you read the topic, you'll notice the problem is that if you collect the crystal box before talking to Houghton, he gets assassinated before you have a chance to talk with him. You can't ask him about anything if he's dead.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6595
Profile #14
Ah i though it had to do with evens before collecting the crystal box. Thought it had something to do with not rescueing the Envoy. Oh well...

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 16:52: Message edited by: monkeyspider ]
Apprentice
Member # 6177
Profile #15
Damn. I did the exact same thing.
The sulfur flats "trap" was butchering my poor party, so I went exploring.
And because if I see a barrier I try to dispel it......
Well, I got the box, fortunately, I restarted right after, but that definitly seems like a nasty bug.

And my mage only had 11 in mage, and 5 in magery, and only L1 dispel from the Colony quest. So it's not that hard to do.

[ Sunday, December 25, 2005 14:59: Message edited by: Duality ]
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #16
whats almaria
and didn't the vanatii die?

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #17
A city in Avernum.
No.

No more inane questions, please.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #18
that isn't inane!!

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4448
Profile #19
Actually, the most salient quality of your postings is the fact that they are nearly invariably inane; in fact, the term could very easily, accurately and sensibly replace that 'journeyman' beneath your name. Or, to summarize, can the spam.

--------------------
Yeah, here's a sig. On to more posts...
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #20
Inane means something that lacks purpose or substance. I would venture 95% of your posts fall into that category as they are questions one could easily answer by playing the game.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00