Spellcraft vs. Magery

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spellcraft vs. Magery
Apprentice
Member # 6812
Profile #0
Hi there,

could somebody enlighten me regarding the difference between spellcraft and magery? The descriptions sounds pretty similiar, and I now have the option to increase both on my character. But not knowing the difference doesn't really make this easier.

BTW, is there any reason to increase the mage/priest spell levels beyond 17 (which according to the manual is the level of the highest priest/mage spells).
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
It has been established that they are identical. The advantage of making Magery trainable is that it gives you a second channel: getting 10 each in Magery and Spellcraft is as good as getting 20 in Spellcraft, but costs a lot less skill points. The same goes for Sharpshooter and either kind of missile skill, or (I believe) Blademaster and Melee.

There's no reason to go past 17 in Spells, unless perhaps you've got all of Intelligence, Spellcraft, and Magery so high that it actually costs less skill points to raise Spells instead of any of them.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6812
Profile #2
Thanks!
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It has been established that they are identical. The advantage of making Magery trainable is that it gives you a second channel: getting 10 each in Magery and Spellcraft is as good as getting 20 in Spellcraft, but costs a lot less skill points.
If the system is like geneforge, then this is not quite true. There is a diminishing return once 10 in a skill is reached, and again once 20 is reached. So it's a bit more accurate to say having 20 in spellcraft is like having 10 in spellcraft and 5 in magery.

This is just a quick note, and serves to highlight the bonus of going for magery even more.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
There is no difference in the effects of Spellcraft and Magery. This is kind of, well, not so much a bug as an oversight. In the next game, I'll work out different bonuses for them.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:

If the system is like geneforge, then this is not quite true. There is a diminishing return once 10 in a skill is reached, and again once 20 is reached. So it's a bit more accurate to say having 20 in spellcraft is like having 10 in spellcraft and 5 in magery.

This is just a quick note, and serves to highlight the bonus of going for magery even more.

I believe we tested this once and concluded that there were no diminishing returns (at least as far as their contributions to Unlock Doors strength went).

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6857
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

[QBIn the next game, I'll work out different bonuses for them.

- Jeff Vogel[/QB]
OMFG! Does this mean that Avernum 5 is going to appear one day? Or were magery and spellcraft included in Geneforge too?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Spellcraft was in Geneforge, but Avernum 5 is indeed on the horizons.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3241
Profile #8
I'm hopeful now! If I go away for 10 years, I have Avernum 10 and Geneforge 10 to play? :eek:

--------------------
Visit the www.monkkonen.net and if you like, be the member of the forums.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Bestrafer_fin:

I'm hopeful now! If I go away for 10 years, I have Avernum 10 and Geneforge 10 to play? :eek:
Nah, we'll be on the fourth remake of the Exile series ;)
Warrior
Member # 3241
Profile #10
With 3d(4d) graphics and 200 spells, 10 times bigger than all BoE and BoA scens combined... Well heck, 10-100 times everything there is now?
*Dreams...* :eek:

--------------------
Visit the www.monkkonen.net and if you like, be the member of the forums.