Dorikas trouble

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dorikas trouble
Apprentice
Member # 6685
Profile #0
Spoilers ahead, I guess.

I'm having a few issues with the Dorikas fight. I have a singleton, and I've been having pretty easy going up to here, but I just can't kill him - literally. The one time I've almost killed him (beat both the drakes and demons that he summoned), he bugged out when he was about to die - his health wouldn't go down no matter how much damage I did, and all he did was terrify me every turn he got. Every other fight, I can't even get that far, because after he summons the ice drakes, he switches his baton from damage to fear, and my singleton does not resist the fear very often - I've spent upwards of several minutes watching my character run around, as Dorikas attacks me doing no damage.

Is the bugging out at 1 hp a known phenomenon? If so, what can I do about it? Also, what do I do about this terror thing? Before, terror/freezing hasn't been a big deal - my character isn't often frozen/terrified/charmed, probably due to fairly good resists and high level, and the few times it has happened, my character is so close to invulnerable that it doesn't matter. Are there spells I could learn that make me less vulnerable? Scrolls? Potions?

All help is appreciated.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You're not supposed to kill him. You just have to beat him up until he runs away.

If you have a Mindshield scroll, you might want to use that to protect yourself from mental attacks.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6685
Profile #2
Mindshield scroll did the trick, thanks. It was a bit difficult to get, as I had none in my inventory or in any of my caches. Luckily, the merchant in Ft. Emerald had one. Thanks for the tip.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #3
I've become confused with Dorikas too. I had no trouble with this fight, but I never saw him again. Was I supposed to?
I ask because in my endgame text I swear it said that I killed him. (Though I was admittedly falling asleep after finally finishing the game, so maybe I'm just wrong.)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
I think someone else pointed out that error in the endgame text, too, so I don't think you were wrong. Admittedly, everything I know about the game comes from these forums because I don't have the game yet.

Dikiyoba will hopefully not have to deal with these sorts of errors by the time the Windows versions come out.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Groan... I remember that I tried to tell Jeff about that problem, as well as a misspelling of Rentar-Ihrno in the endgame text. I see that it wasn't fixed.

On a tangential note, I seem to remember Dorikas being in a previous Avernum game somewhere... anybody know where?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
No it doesn't say you killed him. It simply states that he jumps into the portal vowing to be back.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
I meant in the final, final screens of text you see after you beat the game.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
I just finished several minutes prior. King Starruus says "And I hear you were able to slay their leader?" Perhaps the question mark means something.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
I'm pretty sure it was just a typo...

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
It's fairly common to use questioning intonation when relating the details of information somebody has given you back to them.

(Mind you, I say that as a native-born citizen of the country which invented questioning intonation. :P )

[ Monday, January 16, 2006 22:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
A4 dialogs do that a lot, and it drives me nuts.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00